Photo: AP Images
Harry Potter sidekick Hermoine Granger has been chosen as the best big screen role model in a poll of young film fans.Granger, who has been played in all of the eight Harry Potter films by Emma Watson, took 19% of the votes cast in the survey. Originally created by author J K Rowling, Granger is a studious Hogwarts scholar who uses her bookish skills to help Harry and Ron in their adventures.
A close runner-up in the poll was Charlie Bucket, the poor boy who wins a golden ticket to enter Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory, with 16% of the vote. The 1995 re-creation of the hyper-intelligent Matilda Wormwood came third with 15%. Roald Dahl characters proved as popular on the big screen as in book form, with three making the top 10 in the poll.
Kevin from the four Home Alone films, played by Macaulay Culkin, and Dre Parker from the Karate Kid also made the survey, which was carried out by LOVEFiLM and Filmclub, a children’s charity.
Sam Wainstein from the charity said, “Films can have a powerful influence on the way children behave and interact with people around them. Characters that young people identify with tend to stay with them the longest and positive behaviours can be learnt by watching the way that fictional characters handle certain situations on-screen.”
The top 10 Big Screen Role Models:
1. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter (19%)
2. Charlie from Charlie and Chocolate Factory (16%) .
3. Matilda from Matilda (15%)
4. Kevin from Home Alone (13%)
5. Dre Parker from The Karate Kid (12%)
6. Woody from Toy Story (11%)
7. Lucy from The Chronicles of Narnia (5%)
8. Chihiro Ogino from Spirited Away (4%)
9. Arthur from The Sword in the Stone (3%)
10. James from James and Giant Peach (2%)
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.