Photo: TIm Samoff via Flickr
Since the advertising boycott of Rush Limbaugh’s show began—at least 36 companies have pulled their media schedules from his show—our comments boards have filled up with hundreds of posts from conservatives supporting Rush. Although B.I. readers are always a vocal bunch, this outpouring is on a scale above that. You can read some of their hundreds of comments here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here.
The gist of their defence is that liberal commentators (such as Ed Schultz) have also made offensive remarks about women and not been called to account in the same way.
They also believe that the pressure brought to bear on Limbaugh’s advertisers amounts to politically correct censorship of robust debate.
These points may have some merit, but they don’t address the central problem conservatives have with the ad boycott: This isn’t the left’s fault, or Obama’s fault. It’s Rush’s fault.
Here’s a selection of what B.I.’s readers are saying.
- voting for republican in 2012 election: BI closet obama voters coming out of the woodwork again to bash Rush, even after he apologizes twice, or that the majority of Americans not only agree with Rush’s commentary, but empathise with him regarding the unfair treatment by the media.
- BreitbartIsHere: All this proves is that the left succeeded in pressuring some sponsors to end their association with the show. So?
- All Is Fair: Any advertiser that would pull out is caving to the progressive pressure machine. I am cancelling my subscription to Carbonite because of this.
- Oh Pleaae: AOL and Huffington Post are affiliated. No wonder there is such a uproar over something so inconsequential. It’s all manufactured by the left, even the fake congressional hearing Fluke spoke at.
- Maritxu: Has “Free Speech” died in this country? It doesn’t matter whether you agree or disagree with Rush’s comments. Rush’s advertisers have no business trying to punish him for speaking out. Rush needs to let us know the names of every one of these advertisers, so that we the people can boycott every one of them because they do not believe in Free Speech.
- BARACK OBAMA LOVE FEST: Advertisers are dropping simply to get their name in the news and a positive vibe among the brainless, strategically-retarded liberals, then they’ll be right back to advertising on his show.
- Romney 2012: The left is manufacturing outrage over this Rush Limbaugh slut comment at least 90% of Americans either agree with rush of simply don’t care
Note the repeated theme: That somehow this is a fake scandal generated by the left, and that liberal attacks on Limbaugh are per se unfair.
The problem with this angle is that it’s demonstrably untrue. The scandal was generated entirely by Limbaugh’s own words. What makes it especially infuriating for conservatives is that the battle has been fought using the traditional weapons of the free market: the supply and demand of dollars (advertiser dollars in this case).
The irony that is driving conservatives nuts is that this isn’t another Obama plot—it’s capitalism working exactly the way it should. And they just can’t stand it.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.