Scott Morrison said a lot of thing during the unveiling of the 2016 budget but there was one particular phrase that stood out.
Jobs and growth.
Here are just a few examples of the 13 times Morrison said “jobs and growth” in his speech:
- “First, by sticking to our plan for jobs and growth.”
- “This Budget is a practical, targeted and responsible economic plan that meets these challenges by clearing the way for jobs and growth, in a stronger, more diversified new economy.”
- “Such policies are not a plan for jobs and growth, they simply put our successful economic transition at risk.”
- “Tonight, we announce a ten year enterprise tax plan to support jobs and growth.”
- “Small and medium businesses are driving jobs growth in Australia and must continue to do so.”
- “We do not consider that taxing these Australians more on their investments, including increasing their capital gains tax, and undermining the value of their own home and investments is a plan for jobs and growth.”
You get the idea.
All up, the phrase was used 13 times in his speech.
Since his speech, many have taken to Twitter to point out Morrison’s catchphrase of the evening.
If I'd drank a shot every time I heard Scott Morrison utter the phrase "jobs and growth" today I would've been drunk before lunch. #auspol
— Garret Jackson (@garret_jackson) May 3, 2016
Tonight we announce our plan for jobs and growth. To support jobs and growth, you need jobs and growth. That's why jobs and growth #auspol
— Michael Hiscox (@MJRHiscox) May 3, 2016
Jobs and growth! pic.twitter.com/fjLTOBFZYR
— Josh Mehlman (@vealmince) May 3, 2016
I counted 24 "jobs and growth" logos on the signs during the budget press conference. It's the new flag.
— Josh Taylor (@joshgnosis) May 3, 2016
@Trixie_Boo I think someone may have mentioned something about jobs and growth
— ralph johnston (@ralphjohnston7) May 3, 2016
Jobs and growth. Jobs and growth. Jobs and growth. Jobs and growth. Jobs and growth. Jobs and growth. Jobs and growth. #jobsAndGrowth
— Piers Williams (@MrPiers) May 3, 2016
is 'jobs and growth' the new political slogan for the election ? i must say 'stop the boats' is a hard one to follow
— hugh (@cheesymacs) May 3, 2016
— Karen Stewart (@KazzaRBazza) May 3, 2016
— Peter Newton (@twoeoz) May 3, 2016
— Kevin Morton (@ratholol) May 3, 2016
Well "jobs and growth" has already been said so much that the phrase has lost all meaning #budget2016
— Josh Holloway (@jmrhadl) May 3, 2016
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.