- Telstra is the best for Australian sport, with most plans coming with free NRL, AFL, AFLW A-League and Netball.
- English Premier League and nature fans are best with Optus, with plans coming with free Optus Sport and National Geographic content.
- If you’re a big traveller, Vodafone is your best bet. Free roaming in New Zealand, and certain plans come with up to 20,000 Qantas Points.
- Smaller operators such as OVO offer free action sport and esport, while device deals can nab you a free watch, headphones or even TV.
Mobile Phone deals are no longer just about price, with each provider fighting tooth and nail to get you to stick around on their network for longer. As a result, most are now offering free perks with your plan to entice you to not just sign up, but to stick around for longer.
These vary between providers, with some going heavy on offering content as an option, particularly Optus and Telstra, while others have focused more on lifestyle benefits. Providers such as Vodafone offer free roaming in New Zealand, and while not free, its $5 a day roaming in other countries is still the best option for travellers in the market.
On top of that, telcos are partnering with everyone from concert promoters and cinema brands to offer exclusive deals for their customers.
We’ve pulled together the best deals and providers you should look at if you want to get more out of your phone plan than just your calls, text and data.
- Free subscriptions to watch NRL, AFL, AFLW, A-League and Netball games on your phone. Due to how the rights are set up with the sports though, you can only really watch these games on your phone, as the apps block it on screens over 7-inches.
- Free WiFi hotspot data through the Telstra Air network. This includes hotspots attached to most payphones across Australia and a bunch of private hotspots hosted by Telstra broadband customers. You can also access the Fon network globally for free, which has over 19 million hotspots.
- Data free Apple Music streaming.
- A free new release movie rental on Telstra TV Box Office in your first month.
- Movie ticket discounts for Event Cinemas through Telstra Thanks.
- 20% discount off NRL tickets, and $20 tickets to A-League and AFL games.
- Access to exclusive pre-sales for certain music concerts.
- Free Optus Sports with your plan. This gets you all the English Premier League games on your phone, console or just about anywhere you stream content on. It also includes other football tournaments such as the UEFA Champions League and the upcoming FIFA Women’s World Cup.
Free National Geographic app subscription. For nature lovers, this gets you access to Nat Geo’s wide range of documentaries, photo stories and in-depth articles on our planet.
- Data free mobile streaming for Netflix, Stan and ABC iview.
- Data free music streaming for Spotify, YouTube Music and iHeartRadio.
- Discounts on certain activities, such as 10% off massage vouchers.
- Cheap Hoyts movie tickets.
- Exclusive pre-sale access to certain gigs or comedy shows.
- Free roaming in New Zealand, which means you can use your phone exactly how you would in Australia, including calls, texts and data.
$5 roaming in other countries including China, the United States, UK, Japan and dozens more.
- Up to 20,000 bonus Qantas Points when you sign up, depending on what plan you sign up to.
- If you get a Huawei Mate20 Pro they’ll also throw in a free Huawei Watch GT too, which retails for around $400.
- If you have a 4G Apple Watch or Samsung Galaxy Watch and a mobile with Vodafone, you can get a free connection to your smart watch.
What you can get with the other providers
- OVO Mobile offers its OVOPlay app for free to its customers, including unmetered data usage. They offer access to the AEL esports league, Formula Drift Motorsport, Badminton Australia games, ACT Brumbies Super Rugby coverage and Gymnastics Australia tournaments.
- Kogan Mobile will give you bonus Qantas points for every dollar you spend recharging your mobile.
- Optus, Boost, Lebara, Woolworths Mobile and Aldi Mobile all offer data rollover on their prepaid plans. This means any data you paid for but don’t use in a month can carry over to the next one for you to use it then, so it doesn’t go to waste.
- Woolworths Mobile customers get free 12 months subscription to a service called Family Zone which helps manage your family’s devices, including your kids’ screen time, social media and internet access.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.