- A model known as Ephrata who appeared in the music video for “Watermelon Sugar,” called Harry Styles a “consent king.”
- Ephrata spoke to fellow model Aalany McMahan over Instagram Live, and McMahan said: “He was very huge on the consent.”
- After being told to touch Ephrata’s hair, Styles paused and asked the model if it was ok if he did: “I was like, ‘Yeah, that’s so nice. That was really sweet.'”
- Ephrata returned the favour, too: “They told me to kiss him, and I felt like I had to ask, too. I was like, ‘Are you sure?’ and he was like, ‘Yes, go ahead!'”
- Ephrata said: “That’s why it was so fun because everybody was so like comfortable.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Harry Styles was a “consent king” on the set of the “Watermelon Sugar” music video, according to Ephrata, a model who appeared in it.
On Instagram Live, Ephrata spoke to fellow model Aalany McMahan, who also appeared in the video, about their positive experiences with Styles and “Watermelon Sugar,” which Styles said taps into our need to touch.
“The people were telling him to touch my hair and play with it and he was like, ‘Wait, wait, wait, pause – can I even touch your hair? Is that even ok?'” Ephrata said. “And I was like, ‘Yeah, that’s so nice. That was really sweet.'”
McMahan agreed: “He was very huge on the consent.”
— HSD (@hsdaily) May 18, 2020
“Consent king!” Ephrata said of Styles.
The model returned the favour, too, as she was told to kiss Styles on the cheek, which can be seen in the music video, but thought she should ask for consent first, as well. “They told me to kiss him, and “I felt like I had to ask, too. I was like, ‘Are you sure?’ and he was like, ‘Yes, go ahead!'”
“That’s why it was so fun because everybody was so like comfortable,” Ephrata added.
“It was just natural,” McMahan said.
“Nothing felt like forced, people weren’t stuck up on set,” Ephrata said.
You can watch the full “Watermelon Sugar” music video below:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.