- Harry Styles sported a sheep-print sweater vest over a collared shirt, offering a whimsical take on the “ugly sweater” look.
- Fans are comparing the singer’s sweater to one worn by Princess Diana in the ’80s.
- GQ style writer Rachel Seville Tashjian was among the first to make the connection between Styles and Princess Diana.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Following a Tuesday evening rehearsal for his upcoming “Saturday Night Live” appearance, former One Direction member Harry Styles stepped out in a sheep-print sweater vest that many fans are comparing to one worn by Princess Diana in the ’80s.
Styles offered his trendy take on an “ugly sweater” look in a Lanvin vest adorned with rows of white sheep.
Rachel Seville Tashjian, a style writer at GQ, was one of the first to compare Styles’ animal-themed vest to one worn by Princess Diana. Tashjian, who’s known on Instagram as @theprophetpizza, shared a side-by-side photo showing Styles and Princess Diana – each considered style icons in their own right – sporting the sheep-printed tops.
Princess Diana was spotted wearing the red sweater, which was printed with rows of white sheep and one black sheep in the middle, at a polo match in June 1983.
Who What Wear pinpointed her whimsical sweater as a piece from brand Warm & Wonderful. A version of the sweater, which is described as being an authentic vintage garment, can be purchased online for $US2,000.
Styles wore his statement-making sweater over a striped, collared shirt with pinstripe pants. Though not pictured here, the star also sported a pair of light-pink loafers, which added a pop of colour to the mostly navy-and-white ensemble.
Harry Styles’ outfit is one example of many that prove the lasting impact royals have on fashion. From the “Meghan Markle effect” to Hailey Bieber’s Vogue photo shoot modelled after iconic Princess Diana outfits, it’s clear that celebrities continue to look to the royal family for style inspiration.
Representatives of Lanvin did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment about the availability or price of Harry Styles’ sheep-print vest.
- Harry Styles pierced his ear just so he could wear a single pearl earring at the Met Gala, and fans love it
- 12 things you probably didn’t know about Harry Styles
- Harry Styles keeps his clothes in a ‘giant refrigerator’ with 24-hour surveillance to preserve them
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.