- Harry Styles opened up about the possibility of a One Direction reunion in a cover story for Rolling Stone.
- The 25-year-old singer said: “If there’s a time when we all really want to do it, that’s the only time for us to do it, because I don’t think it should be about anything else other than the fact that we’re all like, ‘Hey, this was really fun. We should do this again.'”
- Styles went on to say that for now, he’s enjoying making music as a solo artist.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“I don’t think I’d ever say I’d never do it again, because I don’t feel that way,” the 25-year-old singer who rose to fame as part of the British-Irish boy band, told Rolling Stone in a new cover story.
The “Sign of the Times” vocalist went on to say that in order for the band to reunite, the timing would have to align and all the members would have to genuinely want to be part of the group again.
“If there’s a time when we all really want to do it, that’s the only time for us to do it, because I don’t think it should be about anything else other than the fact that we’re all like, ‘Hey, this was really fun. We should do this again,'” Styles said.
“But until that time, I feel like I’m really enjoying making music and experimenting,” he continued. “I enjoy making music this way too much to see myself doing a full switch, to go back and do that again. Because I also think if we went back to doing things the same way, it wouldn’t be the same, anyway.”
Styles also told Rolling Stone that he didn’t feel “held back” by being in the band
“It was so much fun,” he said. “If I didn’t enjoy it, I wouldn’t have done it. It’s not like I was tied to a radiator.”
One Direction became a worldwide success in 2010 after competing on the UK’s “X Factor.” At the start, the group was comprised of Styles, Niall Horan, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, and Zayn Malik. They released four studio albums together, followed by a fifth one titled “Made in the A.M.” after the departure of Malik from the band in 2015.
In August 2015, One Direction announced their plan to go on an extended hiatus. Since then, Horan released his debut solo album titled “Flicker” in 2017 and Payne had dropped a few singles and an EP called “First Time.”
Tomlinson has released tracks of his own and collaborated with artists like Bebe Rexha. Styles debuted his self-titled solo album in 2017, which spawned fan-favourite tracks like “Kiwi” and “Sweet Creature.” He also had a role in Christopher Nolan’s 2017 film “Dunkirk.” His highly-anticipated second album will reportedly be released this year. Styles told Rolling Stone that the album is “all about having sex and feeling sad.”
This isn’t the first time Styles spoke of the band possibly reuniting. When he appeared on the Rolling Stone cover in 2017, Styles said that he was grateful for the band and wouldn’t shut down the possibility of a reunion.
“I love the band and would never rule out anything in the future,” he said. “The band changed my life, gave me everything.”
He also told Another Man magazine that it would be ideal for them to reunite “naturally.”
- Read more about Harry Styles:
- Harry Styles and Millie Bobby Brown lived their best lives at Ariana Grande’s recent concert, and fans are here for it
- THEN AND NOW: The members of One Direction
- 9 times Harry Styles was a champion for the LGBTQ community
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.