- A new “Harry Potter”-themed coaster is opening at Universal Orlando in Florida on Thursday.
- The actors behind Draco Malfoy, Fred and George Weasley, Luna Lovegood, and Filius Flitwick were at a press conference for the opening of Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure, which INSIDER attended.
- The cast spoke to press about their experiences on the new coaster opening Thursday.
- When asked who screamed the most on the ride, Tom Felton, who played Draco, was quick to say Rupert Grint, who played Ron Weasley in the films.
- Grint is at Universal, but was not at the press conference.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
Some of the original “Harry Potter” cast is down at Universal Orlando in Florida for the opening of a new coaster in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and they say one cast member in particular screamed the most while trying it out.
“He’s not here, so I say Rupert [Grint],” said Tom Felton, who played Draco Malfoy in the “Harry Potter” films, at a press conference that INSIDER attended Tuesday for Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure.
The new coaster, opening Thursday at Universal’s Islands of Adventure, travels up to 50 mph at times as you twist, turn, and even go backwards. Each train on the coaster can hold 14 guests at a time and you choose whether or not to sit on a motorcycle or its sidecar. (There is one moment in particular on the ride where you’re most likely to scream.)
Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure replaces fan-favourite Dragon Challenge, which consisted of two intertwined red and blue coasters. It ran from 1999 until 2017 at Universal. James Phelps, who played twin Fred Weasley in the films, said he was worried at first about the coaster being replaced.
“I really liked Dragon Challenge. It was one of my favourite rides in the world. So, when they said they were replacing it, I was a bit, ‘Uhhh,” said Phelps, illustrating his initial scepticism of tearing down and replacing the ride with a “Harry Potter”-themed one.
“To replace it with something like [this]… we’re not just saying this is a great ride. It genuinely is a great ride. I think that’s what’s been so cool, especially hearing Rupert’s funny screaming,” said Phelps.
“Yes, he’s got a unique high pitch,” said Felton.
Grint, who played Ron Weasley, is at Universal’s Islands of Adventure. INSIDER saw Grint in the ride queue for the new attraction before the press conference. Universal Orlando is hosting an opening celebration for the ride Tuesday evening at the park.
The rest of the cast said they all enjoyed the ride as well. Felton, in particular, said he has already ridden the coaster three times. He’s a big fan of the motorcycle seat.
Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure opens at Universal’s Islands of Adventure Thursday. Stay tuned for our review.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.