- “Avengers” actress Gwyneth Paltrow revealed in a new interview that her husband, “Glee” cocreator Brad Falchuk, had to convince her to join the cast of his new show, “The Politician.”
- “‘You know there’s no way I can do it,'” the actress said she told her husband, who had written a part specifically for her.
- According to Paltrow, she even made Falchuk cut lines from her scenes because she was so busy with her website, Goop, during filming.
- On “The Politician,” Paltrow plays Georgina Hobart, the mother of lead character Payton (Ben Platt).
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“Avengers” star Gwyneth Paltrow revealed in a new interview with Elle that her husband Brad Falchuk had to convince her to join the cast of his new Netflix show, “The Politician.”
Falchuk, a frequent Ryan Murphy collaborator, cocreated the drama, and wrote the character of Georgina Hobart with his wife in mind.
“I said, ‘No,'” Paltrow said of her reaction when Falchuk first approached her to play Georgina, the mother of lead character Payton (Ben Platt). “‘You know there’s no way I can do it.'”
The “Shakespeare in Love” actress revealed that Falchuk and Murphy were persistent – and so she eventually agreed to join the cast of the show.
But according to Falchuk, Paltrow’s participation required the show’s production to work around her schedule (and she met with Goop staffers during her downtime), and he even had to cut some of her lines.
“She’d show me a giant chunk of her dialogue and be like, ‘I have a board meeting in two days. Please don’t make me do this,'” he said.
On “The Politician,” Paltrow’s character Georgina is completely devoted to her son Payton – something Paltrow says was intentional on Falchuk’s end.
“The way [my character] is as a mother is most closely based on me,” the actress told Elle.
“The Politician” is Paltrow’s first major television role in several years. In recent years, her onscreen appearances have been strictly contained to Marvel movies like “Avengers: Endgame,” in which she stars as Pepper Potts.
- Read more:
- Gwyneth Paltrow defends her confusion over which Marvel movies she’s been in: ‘There are so many’
- Gwyneth Paltrow hesitated to expose Harvey Weinstein because of controversy surrounding Goop, according to a new tell-all
- Gwyneth Paltrow flipped out at a fan who questioned her cooking skills on Instagram Live: ‘Yes I f—— cook!’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.