- Grimes, who has been romantically linked to Elon Musk, tweeted “Randomly, I am in China,” the same day he launched Tesla’s new factory project in Shanghai.
- The pair appeared to break up last year in a tangled series of events involving a $US40 million fine from the SEC, and rapper Azealia Banks.
- It isn’t completely clear what kind of relationship they now have.
- Grimes also said on Sunday: “I didnt [sic] plan to come and have arrived without a toothbrush.”
- She did not say why she was in China, and asked followers for ideas of what to do.
Grimes did not say what she was doing in China, or whether it was anything to do with Musk. Business Insider has contacted representatives for Grimes to ask for more details.
Grimes and Musk had a brief, high-profile relationship in 2018, which became public knowledge when they attended the Met Gala together in May.
Since then, it has widely been reported in the media that they broke up. CNBC and Bloomberg have both recently referred to Grimes as Musk’s ex-girlfriend, as have Tesla shareholders who recently filed a lawsuit mentioning her.
They have not spoken publicly about their relationship. They were seen together in October at a pumpkin patch near Los Angeles with Musk’s children.
Earlier this week, Grimes approvingly quoted one of Musk’s tweets about his SpaceX company.
On Monday Grimes said: “Randomly, I am in China. (like I didnt plan to come and have arrived without a toothbrush).”
Grimes did not say where in China she is. However, she asked followers for ideas of things to do in the capital Beijing, and also in Shanghai, where Musk was launching the Tesla factory.
In a second tweet, she asked: “What is the absolute coolest thing I can do in Beijing and Shanghai? Where is the best art?”
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.