- Cardi B’s “Invasion of Privacy” won best rap album at the Grammys on Sunday.
- During her acceptance speech, Ariana Grande tweeted five times with the words, “what,” “f—,” “trash,” “bulls—,” and “literal bulls—.” She deleted all five immediately after.
- Many fans believed Grande was reacting less to Cardi B’s win and more about the loss for Mac Miller, who was posthumously nominated for his album “Swimming.”
- Grande also liked a fan’s tweet that chastised the Recording Academy for inviting Miller’s parents to the show without awarding him.
- Grande and Miller dated for two years before he died of an accidental overdose in September.
Ariana Grande appeared to react with anger and disappointment when Cardi B’s “Invasion of Privacy” won best rap album at the Grammys on Sunday.
Directly after the announcement and during the rapper’s acceptance speech, Grande sent out five tweets in quick succession: “what,” “f—,” “trash,” “bulls—,” and “literal bulls—.” She deleted all five immediately after, but INSIDER was able to confirm their existences.
Grande’s late ex-boyfriend, Mac Miller, was posthumously nominated in the same category for his final album “Swimming.”
Grande has repeatedly paid homage to Miller since he died of an accidental overdose in September; she has posted photos and videos of him on Instagram and numerous songs on her new album, released on Friday, appear to be written about him. Grande and Miller dated for two years before they announced their split in May.
According to USA Today, Grande apologized when one Twitter user thought she was “shading” Cardi B, but quickly deleted her reply.
“nothing to do w her. good for her. i promise. i’m sorry,” Grande wrote.
The pop star, who won best pop vocal album for “Sweetener” earlier in the evening, also liked a few tweets that signified her true feelings about the award.
Ariana isn’t shading Cardi it’s cause Mac didn’t win
— R (fan account) (@arianaspilltea) February 11, 2019
“Y’all invited Mac’s parents out and you didn’t give him an award are y’all DUMB?” one tweet reads, with the Recording Academy’s official Twitter page tagged.
Many fans noticed Grande’s reaction before she deleted the tweets and most assumed that her harsh words were directed towards Miller’s loss, rather than Cardi’s win.
ariana tweeted "trash" and "bullshit" when cardi won a grammy over mac and then deleted them screaminggg #grammys
— bombasticl0ve (@bombasticl0ve) February 11, 2019
Ariana isn’t going after Cardi. She’s mad that they used his name for attention. The only time they ever give him a nomination is after he passed? That’s the bullshit she’s talking about.
— risa ???? (@minygrande) February 11, 2019
— kels (@belsikush) February 11, 2019
For her part, Cardi B announced backstage that she would be “sharing” her trophy with Miller.
“And you wanna know something?” Cardi said, after thanking her family and team members. “I read an article that Mac Miller’s family said that if he don’t win, they want me to win. So I’m sharing this Grammy with you, motherf—–! Rest in peace!”
— The FADER (@thefader) February 11, 2019
After the show had ended, Cardi posted a screenshot of the article in question with the caption, “WE WON A F—– GRAMMY ????????????????????.” Grande commented on the post with six black heart emojis.
- embed type
You can see a full list of the 2019 Grammys winners here.
- Read more:
- The 14 biggest snubs of the 2019 Grammy nominations, from Ariana Grande to Travis Scott
- Ariana Grande skipped the Grammys, but she gave fans a fabulous look at the princess-like ball gown she would’ve worn
- Janelle Monáe’s performance at the Grammys was a tribute to vaginas and people were here for it
- Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lopez blew each other kisses while posing together on the Grammys red carpet and fans couldn’t handle it
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.