Google’s parent company, Alphabet’s, stock price is slightly down after the company’s big hardware event on Wednesday.
The company is trading 0.35% lower to $US971.00 after announcing several new hardware products at its annual Made By Google event. Alphabet was trading lower on the day before the event started, and didn’t move much during or after the event.
The company started its event by highlighting its focus on artificial intelligence, and almost every product revealed had some element of AI built in. Google also emphasised that designing hardware and software under its single roof allows the company to do really unique things with its products, an advantage Apple has touted for years.
Here’s a roundup of the products Google announced…
- Pixel 2 phones: The new phone comes in two sizes, and has the best camera on a smartphone, according to the company. The phones offer an almost edge-to-edge display, in line with the rest of the high-end smartphone market, and an emphasis on the company’s smart assistant.
- Pixelbook laptop: The company’s Chrome Book platform gets a new family member. The laptop has a touchscreen that folds around to convert the laptop into a sort of tablet. The company also announced a pen with the new laptop that will allow the user to draw on the laptop screen.
- Google Home Mini and Max: The two new speakers are additions to Google’s previous Home product. The two new speakers let a user interact with the speaker by speaking to it, similar to an Amazon Echo speaker. The mini is about the size of a doughnut, and the Max offers better sound quality in a larger package.
- Clips: The company announced a small new camera that automatically will take stills and videos from a scene. Google said it would be great for users with kids and pets. After the camera’s announcement, shares of GoPro fell by more than 5%.
- Pixel Buds: Google announced a new set of wireless earbuds at the event. The earbuds operate much in the same way that Apple’s AirPods do, but are tethered together with a wire. The company demonstrated the headphones’ ability to translate a conversation in real time.
Google is up 20.03% this year.
Get the latest Google stock price here.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.