- At the 76th Golden Globes, Christian Bale won an award for best performance by an actor in a motion picture – musical or comedy for his role as former Vice President Dick Cheney in “Vice.”
- When the 44-year-old actor gave a speech on stage, people were astounded to learn that he’s British, especially since he often uses different accents based on roles he’s portraying.
- Bale is from Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK.
On Sunday, Bale attended the 76th Golden Globes, which was held at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, and hosted by Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg. The 44-year-old actor took home the award for best performance by an actor in a motion picture – musical or comedy for his role as former Vice President Dick Cheney in “Vice.”
While on stage thanking Satan for inspiring his performance, some people were astounded to find out that Bale isn’t American. Even though the award-winning actor often portrays American roles in films (like Bruce Wayne in the “Batman” movies and Irving Rosenfeld in “American Hustle”), true fans will know the actor was actually born in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK.
After watching his speech, people took to Twitter to share their confused reactions.
Christian Bale has an accent!? Am I the only one who didn’t know that!? ????????♀️ #GoldenGlobes
— Dana Goldberg (@DGComedy) January 7, 2019
— Jennie Runevitch (@JennieWTHR) January 7, 2019
christian bale is… british??
— Jemima Skelley (@jemimaskelley) January 7, 2019
I thought Christian Bale was from San Diego…. never knew he was British. pic.twitter.com/AmVIA1bTHG
— Allen Vickers (@allenvickers_) January 7, 2019
I thought Christian Bale was doing a british accent to be funny and boy was it making me mad!!
— Joel Kim Booster (@ihatejoelkim) January 7, 2019
yall……………………i thought christian bale was doing a fake accent but no……………………he’s been british the whole time
— bill s. preston, esq (@modernmack) January 7, 2019
And even though some fans already knew about his true accent, they forgot. Others still felt like his voice was inauthentic.
I know Christian Bale is *actually* British but it still feels like he’s pretending to be British as a bit
— Mike Drucker (@MikeDrucker) January 7, 2019
I am surprised by Christian Bale’s accent every award season.
— Shantel G. Buggs, Ph.D. (@sgbuggs) January 7, 2019
Is anyone else shocked- SHOCKED – when Christian Bale speaks in a non-American accent?! ????
Satan?! ???? #GoldenGlobes
— Suz (@suzspetals) January 7, 2019
no British person has ever seemed like they are doing a terrible fake British accent as much as Christian Bale
— Helena Fitzgerald (@helfitzgerald) January 7, 2019
i’m sorry christian bale is british?? #GoldenGlobes2019
— Gabby Allen (@gabzaz) January 7, 2019
Watch Bale’s Golden Globes speech below.
- Read more:
- The 25 best outfits celebrities wore to the 2019 Golden Globes
- See inside the official Golden Globes after party where all the night’s winners came to celebrate
- Here are all the Golden Globes 2019 winners
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.