- Glenn Close wore a gown weighing over 40 pounds to the 91st Academy Awards.
- Designed by Carolina Herrera specifically for Close, the gold gown included 3 million beads hand-stitched by 40 artisans.
- The dress was created in India and then flown to New York on two separate flights.
- Close was nominated in the category of best actress, her seventh Oscar nomination.
The 2019 Oscars brought a lot of fashion that people can’t stop talking about, but the heaviest gown of the night might just belong to Glenn Close. The actress, nominated for best actress in “The Wife,” told Ryan Seacrest on the red carpet that her gold gown weighed 42 pounds, though, according to the designer’s website, the dress weighed 50 pounds.
The gown, designed by Wes Gordon at Carolina Hererra, ‘intimidated’ Close
In an interview with The Cut, Close admitted that the gown “intimidated” her, but that she didn’t do anything ahead of time to prepare to wear it.
“It’s probably going to kill me,” she told The Cut.
The intricate gown
was embellished with 3 million beads and
required 40 artisans to create
Carolina Herrera’s website shared an in-depth look at Close’s gown, which they said was the “most intricate piece the House has ever created.”
Each of the 3 million (though on the red carpet, Close said it was 4 million) custom glass bugle beads were individually stitched into the gown in India, and it required 40 artisans to create. The gown was then flown to New York on two separate flights.
The gown was inspired by Close’s personal style and even her dog got in on the process of dressing her for the Oscars.
“Glenn’s affinity for suits and structured pieces led the design process, with the vision to translate similar qualities of strength into a gown,” wrote Herrera’s site. “She loved the idea of attending the Oscars dressed in ‘Oscars gold,’ as did her dog Pip who playfully scampered around during fittings.”
She wasn’t the only star to rock a cape on the red carpet
Melissa McCarthy had a memorable look at the 2019 Oscars wearing a pantsuit with a cape similar to that of Close’s. The two were pictured side-by-side on the red carpet.
Although Close was nominated for her seventh Oscar this year – this time for best actress in “The Wife” – she lost to Olivia Colman for her role in “The Favourite.”
- Read more:
- Here’s what 67 best actress winners have worn to the Oscars
- Emma Stone’s brown Oscars dress is dividing the internet, and critics are comparing it to everything from a Furby to an ice-cream cone
- The best-dressed celebrity couples at the 2019 Oscars
- Lady Gaga wore a $US30 million necklace to the Oscars with a 128-carat yellow diamond last seen on Audrey Hepburn
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.