- A photo has emerged which appears to show Ghislaine Maxwell and Kevin Spacey posing on the thrones of Buckingham Palace in 2002.
- The duo and former US president Bill Clinton were being given a private tour of the palace by Prince Andrew, according to the Telegraph.
- Maxwell is the former girlfriend of late financier and registered sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, and she is currently facing charges of sex trafficking and perjury.
- The Prince’s relationship with Epstein has caused a scandal for Britain’s Royal Family.
- Buckingham Palace did not immediately respond to Business Insider’s request for comment.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Ghislaine Maxwell and Kevin Spacey posed in the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh’s thrones in Buckingham Palace in 2002, a photo obtained by the Daily Telegraph shows.
Maxwell, a British socialite and alleged accomplice of the late financier Jeffrey Epstein, was arrested on sex trafficking and perjury charges on July 2, 2020.
Ghislaine Maxwell will “never” offer any information about the Duke of York as part of a plea deal https://t.co/ieoVvMml1S
— The Telegraph (@Telegraph) July 4, 2020
Registered sex offender Epstein died by suicide in jail last August but was a friend of the Duke of York, a controversial friendship that has resulted in scandal for the Royal Family.
Prince Andrew has been accused of coercing Virginia Roberts Giuffre into sex three times when she was 17-years-old – encounters which Epstein paid Giuffre for, she claims. The Duke has denied the allegations, Business Insider reported.
Maxwell is facing accusations of grooming young girls, engaging in sexual acts with them, and lying about her involvement with her former boyfriend Epstein in sworn statements, Business Insider’s Haven Orecchio-Egresitz reported.
She and actor Kevin Spacey, who has also been accused of sexual offences, were 18 years ago invited to the Palace by the Queen’s son, Prince Andrew, according to the Telegraph.
The photo shows the duo sitting in the thrones (which is a breach of royal protocol), smiling, and perhaps performing regal waves.
The Telegraph reports that Maxwell and Spacey enjoyed a private tour of Buckingham Palace by the Duke of York, Prince Andrew.
The tour was for former US President Bill Clinton – Spacey joined as his friend, and Maxwell as a guest of the Prince, according to a source.
“They were larking about on the thrones, doing regal waves,” the source told The Telegraph.
“Ghislaine sat on the Queen’s throne with Spacey pretending to be the Duke of Edinburgh. No one can recall if Prince Andrew was actually in the throne room at the time but he was in charge of the visit.”
Clinton was visiting the UK to speak at the Labour Party conference in Blackpool the year after he stepped down as president.
Before arriving in Britain, Clinton, Maxwell, and Spacey reportedly spent a week travelling around Africa together on Epstein’s private jet, as per the Telegraph.
Epstein is not thought to have been part of the group on the Palace tour, and it’s unclear whether he was on the trip to Africa.
Buckingham Palace did not immediately respond to Business Insider’s request for comment.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.