But that ETF isn’t the only way a fund manager can play through equities (remember, we have no idea what he’s doing with derivatives etc.). There are also miners.
So let’s take a quick look at Soros’ various position in miners, and how that compares to the previous quarter:
- Barrick Gold: 8500 shares vs. 4800 in the previous quarter.
- Eldorado gold: 21,000 shares, totally new position.
- Goldcorp: 7100 shares, totally new position.
- Great Basin Gold: 6 million shares, up from 5.1 million in the previous quarter. (This is a $2 stock, so not a huge position).
- Kinross Gold: 1.3 million shares, DOWN from 3.9 million in the previous quarter. (This is a $14 stock, so this is actually some real selling)
- Market Vectors Gold Miner ETF 9,800, down form 14,400
- NovaGold: 3.5 million shares, WAY DOWN from 12.9 million in the previous quarter. (At $10/share, this is also substantial)
So, a little bit of moving in and out of things, and new positions, though all the really big moves are sales.