- The San Francisco 49ers have advanced to the Super Bowl after beating the Green Bay Packers, 37-20, in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday night.
- To celebrate, 49ers tight end George Kittle wore a T-shirt featuring a photo of a shirtless Jimmy Garoppolo, the team’s quarterback.
- Garoppolo even signed the shirt, and Kittle said at a postgame press conference that he was saving it for a “special occasion” – the NFC Championship win.
- Kittle later signed a shirt with his own face on it and gave it to Garoppolo.
- The 49ers will play the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LIV in Miami Gardens, Florida, on February 2.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle celebrated his team’s NFC Championship win by wearing a signed T-shirt featuring quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo shirtless.
The 49ers are headed to the Super Bowl after beating the Green Bay Packers, 37-20, on Sunday night.
In an interview with ESPN after the game, Kittle said he had been sent the T-shirt featuring a shirtless Garoppolo earlier in the week and was saving it for the big win.
“I just wanted to give Jimmy a special present after we won the NFC Championship game. He even signed it for me though,” he told ESPN, adding that he was celebrating “Jimmy, all the hard work that he’s put in for the last couple years that he’s been in the league, and how it’s all come to this.”
“So I just wanted to let him know I’m proud of him,” he said.
Kittle later wore the shirt to a postgame press conference.
“Jimmy had a T-shirt with my face in his locker and he told everyone I sent it to him,” he said. “I got this in my locker the same day. I just didn’t show you guys cause I was saving it for a special occasion.”
George Kittle really came out to the press conference with a shirt of a shirtless Jimmy G ????
— the Sports ON Tap (@thesportsontap) January 20, 2020
Garoppolo told reporters he thought it was a nice shirt and joked that it would be available in the team store soon.
— Peter Panacy (@PeterPanacy) January 20, 2020
Kittle later returned the favour to Garoppolo, signing the shirt with his own face on it and giving it back to the quarterback.
Kittle returning the favor.
“To Jim Jim” pic.twitter.com/l69Kaf10Rb
— Niners Nation (@NinersNation) January 20, 2020
The 49ers will play the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LIV in Miami Gardens, Florida, on February 2.
- Read more:
- Aaron Rodgers said the latest playoff loss stings more than usual because ‘I don’t have the same number of years ahead of me as I do behind me’
- Paul Rudd was the happiest man in the Chiefs’ locker room as the team celebrated their AFC title
- The star of the 49ers’ dominant win over the Packers nearly became a pro surfer and was cut 6 times in the NFL before breaking out
- The NFL world is anointing Patrick Mahomes the best quarterback in the league after a dominant performance to send the Chiefs to the Super Bowl