- Former President George W. Bush shared a touching memory of his father, the late President George H.W. Bush, in an interview with “60 Minutes” that aired Sunday.
- The elder Bush died on Friday at his home in Houston.
- The pair’s presidencies marked the second time a father and son both served as US presidents, and the younger Bush spoke about the special moment they shared in the Oval Office after his inauguration in 2001.
Following the passing of former President George H.W. Bush on Friday, “60 Minutes” aired an interview with his son, President George W. Bush, who shared a touching memory of his father from shortly after he was sworn in as commander in chief in 2001.
After going back to the White House after the inauguration, Bush says his chief of staff Andy Card took him to the Oval Office to see it for the first time as president.
Soon after, his father joined him in the room, and they shared a special moment, as the second father and son to each be elected president. The younger Bush recalled:
“My favourite story about all that is … I had just gotten sworn in and Andy Card said, ‘Why don’t you do down to the Oval and see what it feels like as president.’ And I said, ‘OK.’ So I went down, sitting down there and just kind of taking it all in, and in walks dad.
“So Andy had told dad that I was down there. And he walks down and I said, ‘Mr. President, welcome.’
“He said, ‘Thank you, Mr. President.’ And that’s pretty much all that was said for a while. And it was a very profound moment for me.”
George W. Bush was the eldest of George H.W. Bush’s six children with his wife, Barbara Bush, who preceded him in death this past April.
Bush’s last words were to his son. As the end neared on Friday night, George W. Bush called his father and told him that he loved him.
“I love you, too,” his father responded, in his last words.
- Read more about the late George H.W. Bush:
- Former President George H.W. Bush dies at age 94
- The life and legacy of former President George H.W. Bush, in photos
- Inside the ‘storybook’ marriage of Barbara and George H.W. Bush – who were married longer than any first couple, and still said ‘I love you’ every night
- Funeral proceedings for George H.W. Bush begin today. Here are the plans for the rest of the week.
- Photo of George H.W. Bush’s service dog mourning at his casket pulls the internet’s heartstrings
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.