- Former President George H.W. Bush passed away at his home in Houston, Texas on Friday at the age of 94.
- Throughout his life, the 41st president was known for his bold sock choices.
- On Monday, the late president’s spokesman tweeted out an image of the socks he will be buried in, which feature a fleet of planes flying – a tribute to his World War II service as a naval aviator.
The late President George H.W. Bush was well known for his love of socks.
He once said in 2014 that “the louder, the brighter, the crazier the pattern – the better.”
So it’s perhaps no surprise that the 41st president will be buried in a colourful pair.
On Monday, Bush’s spokesman, Jim McGrath, tweeted a picture of the socks and tie that the president will be laid to rest in.
While the tie is a conservative red number, the socks are more typical of Bush’s style. They show a fleet of aeroplanes flying in the sky, a tribute to Bush’s World War II service as a naval aviator.
The 41st President will be carried to his final rest wearing socks that pay tribute to his lifetime of service, starting as an 18 year-old naval aviator in war. That legacy is now being carried, in part, by the brave, selfless men and women aboard @CVN77_GHWB. #Remembering41 pic.twitter.com/OabtK756fO
— Jim McGrath (@jgm41) December 3, 2018
“The 41st President will be carried to his final rest wearing socks that pay tribute to his lifetime of service, starting as an 18 year-old naval aviator in war. That legacy is now being carried, in part, by the brave, selfless men and women aboard @CVN77_GHWB. #Remembering41,” McGrath tweeted.
The president’s casket departed Houston Monday morning to be taken to Washington, D.C., where he will lie in state in the US Capitol through Wednesday.
On Wednesday, a memorial service will be held for Bush at the National Cathedral, where sitting President Donald Trump will be in attendance. Following that service, Bush’s body will be taken back to Texas for another service, followed by his interment at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library in College Station, Texas.
The socks worn by the 41st President of the United States of America at today’s funeral for former First Lady Barbara Bush. pic.twitter.com/12libHt1Jv
— Jim McGrath (@jgm41) April 21, 2018
He will be buried next to his daughter Robin, who died from cancer as a toddler in 1953, and wife Barbara, who passed in April.
Bush wore a pair of book-themed socks to his wife’s funeral in the spring, to honour her work to improve to literacy.
- Read more about George H.W. Bush:
- Inside the ‘storybook’ marriage of Barbara and George H.W. Bush – who were married longer than any first couple, and still said ‘I love you’ every night
- Funeral proceedings for George H.W. Bush begin today. Here are the plans for the rest of the week.
- George H.W. Bush’s service dog Sully was only with the president for six months. Here’s where he’s going now
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.