Photo: Flickr / silverxraven
GasBuddy predicted earlier in the year that gas prices would peak by Memorial Day.But surprisingly, new data shows average prices are lower this week than they were a year ago in 38 per cent of all states.
The three states with the lowest prices compared to a year ago are:
1. Minnesota—prices today average $3.66, compared to $3.90 last year.
2. Ohio–prices today average $3.69, compared to $3.86 last year.
3. Michigan—prices today average $3.81, compared to $3.97 last year.
On the other hand, states like Colorado, Montana, Oregon, Arizona, Washington and Hawaii are suffering from even higher gas prices than last year.
If you have the misfortune of living in one of those states, here are some tips from YM contributor Stacy Johnson for saving on gas:
1. Pay cash.
2. Fill up at the warehouse club.
3. Shop around.
4. Slow down.
5. Take the extra weight out of your car.
Don’t Miss: The best gas credit cards on the market >