- Warning: There are spoilers ahead for season eight, episodes three and four of “Game of Thrones,” titled “The Long Night,” and “The Last of the Starks.”
- On Friday night’s “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,” the host accused Sophie Turner of being the person behind the rogue coffee cup that appeared in front of Daenerys Targaryen in a scene of “Game of Thrones.”
- Fallon showed the audience a photo of Turner holding an identical coffee cup alongside her costar Bella Ramsey (Lyanna Mormont).
- However, Turner responded by saying that the photo clearly wasn’t taken at the same time the anachronistic coffee cup was being filmed.
- “I mean look who it’s placed in front of,” Turner added. “Emilia Clarke. She’s the culprit!”
- Watch the full interview below.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
Emilia Clarke, j’accuse!
With her sleuthing hat firmly planted on her head, Sophie Turner attempted to settle the anachronistic coffee cup saga once and for all on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on Friday.
In a statement to INSIDER, HBO joked: “In response to inquiries from those who saw a craft services coffee cup in Sunday night’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’: The latte that appeared in the episode was a mistake. Daenerys had ordered a herbal tea.”
Such was the virality of the rogue coffee cup, that Stacy Jones, CEO of marketing agency Hollywood Branded, told INSIDER that it was worth at least $US2.3 billion in free publicity to Starbucks – even though it wasn’t one of their cups (Jones’ estimate has since been increased to $US2.8 billion).
Even though the cup was positioned in front of Emilia Clarke’s character, Daenerys Targaryen, the actress appeared to try and clear her name with a humorous Instagram post.
On “The Tonight Show,” Turner too faced accusations of treachery from the host after he showed the audience a photo of the actress holding an identical coffee cup while standing with her costar Bella Ramsey (Lyanna Mormont).
“Alright, Detective Pikachu,” Turner responded. “Let’s clear this up.”
Warning that she was about to give a spoiler away for “Game of Thrones” episode three, “The Long Night,” Turner said: “This girl dies!” pointing at Ramsey, suggested the photo hadn’t been taken at the same time as the anachronistic coffee cup was being filmed.
“That’s in a different scene, and also, we all have the same cups for all of our water and tea and everything,” she added.
Levying an accusation of her own, Turner said: “I’m gonna just go with, I mean look who it’s placed in front of.
“Emilia Clarke. She’s the culprit!”
Watch the interview in full below:
“Thrones” executive producer Bernie Caulfield apologised for the blooper on WNYC on Monday, jokingly adding: “Westeros was the first place to actually, you know, have Starbucks.”
Meanwhile, production designer Hauke Richter told Variety that “things can get forgotten on set,” and that the anachronistic coffee was getting “blown out of proportion [because] it has not happened with ‘Thrones’ so far.”
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.