- Warning: Spoilers ahead for “Game of Thrones.”
- HBO released new photos for Sunday’s fifth episode of “Game of Thrones” season eight, which still has no announced title.
- The 80-minute episode was directed by Miguel Sapochnik (“Battle of the Bastards,” “The Winds of Winter,” “The Long Night”).
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
The second-to-last “Game of Thrones” episode airs on HBO this Sunday, and new photos show the coming fight between Cersei Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, and Jon Snow’s armies.
Directed by Miguel Sapochnik, who helmed this season’s Battle of Winterfell as well as several other iconic episodes (“Hardhome,” “Battle of the Bastards,” “The Winds of Winter”), this penultimate chapter will be 80 minutes long.
Keep reading for a look at what’s in store for our remaining characters.
Following the execution of Missandei, Daenerys is grieving and consumed with fury.
Her usually immaculately braided hair now looks lank and undone. Daenerys’ braids were a connection to her time with the Dothraki, who believed warriors would cut their braids only when they lost a battle.
Grey Worm is also mourning Missandei and will likely still want to lead the fight into King’s Landing.
Grey Worm has always been a loyal lieutenant of Daenerys and is going to want vengeance on Missandei’s behalf.
Tyrion looks concerned, which tracks with his conversations about Daenerys’ mental state on the last episode.
Tyrion and Varys discussed the treasonous prospect of supporting Jon Snow’s claim to the Iron Throne instead. Tyrion’s negotiation with Cersei was a last-resort effort to keep Daenerys on top, but that went sideways. Now what will he do?
Varys is walking with Jon on the beach in this shot. Are they having a casual chat about the Targaryen line of succession?
Varys knows the truth about Jon Snow’s parentage – but Jon thinks that secret was left in the Winterfell godswood.
Jon and Davos will be in the thick of the coming fight for King’s Landing.
They both look worried, and rightfully so, given how outnumbered they now are against Cersei’s forces.
Davos, Jon, and Tyrion are facing the entire Golden Company army.
This group of mercenaries is made up of 20,000 soldiers, all of whom are ready for battle. Jon and Daenerys’ soldiers are still recovering from the Battle of Winterfell.
The Golden Company is led by Harry Strickland.
He was hired by Cersei to fight for King’s Landing. It’s interesting to see them outside the city walls, but perhaps the plan is to meet their opponents in the field to draw in Daenerys’ remaining dragon.
Euron is still with his fleet, where he hopes to shoot down the last living dragon in Westeros.
Euron will be tracking Daenerys’ and Drogon’s movements in the sky, based on the trailer for next week’s episode.
And Cersei remains safely inside with her protector, the undead Mountain.
Cersei seemingly has the upper hand right now, but will it last? We’ll have to wait and see on Sunday.
- Read more:
- Next week’s ‘Game of Thrones’ episode will feature the final battle of the whole series. Watch the new teaser here.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ director David Nutter reveals a key reason why Jon Snow didn’t at least pet Ghost goodbye
- 12 details you might have missed on the latest episode of ‘Game of Thrones’
- Every change made to the ‘Game of Thrones’ opening credits on season 8 so far
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.