- Warning: Spoilers ahead for “Game of Thrones.”
- HBO released new photos for Sunday’s third episode of season eight of “Game of Thrones,” which still has no announced title.
- The episode will be 82 minutes, making it the longest in the series’ history.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
HBO released new photos from the coming third episode of “Game of Thrones” season eight, all centered on the Battle of Winterfell. The yet-untitled episode will be 82 minutes, making it the longest in the series’ history.
It’s directed by Miguel Sapochnik (“Hardhome,” “The Battle of the Bastards”), and fans are expecting epic action as Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow face down the army of the dead.
Keep reading for a preview of the brutal battle to come.
Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow will likely have some tension heading into battle now that she knows about his true parentage.
Here, the lovers/last living Targaryens appear to be gazing upon their joint army, preparing to defend the castle against the army of the dead. They won’t have much time to deal with the fallout from Dany’s revelation about Jon’s parents on the previous episode.
This foreboding shot of Jon teases the intense battle to come.
We’ve seen Jon’s game face plenty of times before, including at the battle at Hardhome (season five) and the Battle of the Bastards (season six).
Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth will fight side by side.
On the second episode of the season, “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms,” we learned that Brienne would be commanding the left flank.
“I’m not the fighter I used to be,” Jaime tells her. “But I’d be honored to serve under your command, if you’ll have me.”
Varys and Tyrion Lannister are not great warriors, so they will likely stay in the crypts during the battle.
Everyone at Winterfell believes this is the safest place to be.
Sansa and Arya Stark share a frightened look on the battlements.
The sisters solidified their relationship when Arya returned to Winterfell on season seven. Arya has said her older sister is the smartest person she’s ever met.
It looks as if Sansa will also camp out in the crypts during the battle.
In a teaser for season eight, we saw Jon and Arya drawing their swords and stepping in front of Sansa in the Winterfell crypts.
- Read more:
- Why ‘Game of Thrones’ has become so dark you can barely see the characters sometimes
- This ‘Game of Thrones’ fan theory could mean our heroes won’t be facing the ultimate villain on the next episode
- 15 details you might have missed on the latest episode of ‘Game of Thrones’
- Arya’s gruesome scars on Sunday’s ‘Game of Thrones’ surprised fans – here’s how she got them
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.