- Warning: Spoilers ahead for “Game of Thrones” season eight, episode two, “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.”
- On Sunday’s episode, Theon Greyjoy and Sansa Stark were reunited for the first time since early season six.
- The tender moment struck a chord with many fans.
- Theon and Sansa share a special connection, thanks to their abuse at the hands of the same man and their joint escape from captivity.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
HBO’s latest episode of “Game of Thrones” saw a tender reunion between Theon Greyjoy and Sansa Stark, who claim two of the most extraordinary character arcs on the show.
When Theon arrives at his old home, he pledges to fight in the forthcoming battle – all but ignoring the North’s queen, Daenerys Targaryen, in favour of addressing his old friend directly.
“I want to fight for Winterfell, Lady Sansa. If you’ll have me,” he says, just before Sansa crosses the room to embrace him.
The pair grew up together like siblings, but haven’t seen each other since season six, episode two, “Home.” They said goodbye just after Theon helped Sansa escape from their mutual tormentor, Ramsay Bolton.
Theon was even willing to sacrifice himself to save Sansa – especially heroic given the loss of identity and horrific torture he endured, causing severe symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.
On the early seasons of “Game of Thrones,” Theon struggled with feelings of abandonment and a lack of belonging, which led him to brutality and betrayal. He has since been given a dramatic redemption arc.
Similarly, Sansa made some grave miscalculations as a naive child on season one. She quickly became a political hostage and learned to adapt, finally emerging as one of the most valuable players on season eight.
Thanks to their similar experiences as captives and pawns – not to mention their abuse at the hands of the same man – Theon and Sansa share a special connection. They have been able to give each other strength in times of need.
Fans were thrilled to finally them reunited, especially because the scene offered a brief moment of comfort for the two embattled characters.
aside from everything else people need to remember that Sansa and Theon have this bond of having been serially abused by the same person #GameofThrones
— Saladin Ahmed (@saladinahmed) April 22, 2019
theon was ready to die to help sansa escape and get her to the wall and now he's ready to die fighting for her family, maybe i am solf pic.twitter.com/6Bd01doLOJ
— ellie (@odairannies) April 22, 2019
she looked so relieved, pure and happy here. after seeing her so stressed and cautious with all the things happening in the north this is such a warm moment smh i love seeing sansa stark happy, and theon being the reason of it makes it 1000x times better pic.twitter.com/uS1SDurAuR
— camila (@greyjoysansas) April 21, 2019
It also feels safe to assume that Theon and Sansa’s connection is deep and loving, but purely platonic. Theon’s major character development hinged on reorganising his priorities. He has long since shed his former reputation as shallow and promiscuous.
Additionally, it may feel inappropriate for the showrunners to prioritise a romantic storyline for Sansa, considering the sexual harassment and abuse she has endured throughout the series – especially with Theon, considering they were raised like siblings.
- Read more:
- 15 details you might’ve missed on the latest episode of ‘Game of Thrones’
- The final moment of Sunday’s ‘Game of Thrones’ spells serious trouble for Daenerys and Jon’s romantic future
- ‘Game of Thrones’ fans are losing it over Arya’s steamiest scene yet, and some are seriously disappointed
- Next week’s ‘Game of Thrones’ episode will be nearly 90 minutes of epic battle. Watch the new teaser here.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.