- Warning: Spoilers ahead for HBO’s “Game of Thrones.”
- Actor Pilous Asbæk was a “massive” fan of “Game of Thrones” for its five seasons before he was hired to play Euron Greyjoy.
- But as soon as the show became his job, he stopped watching the new episodes.
“It was my work, and you don’t want to bring home work,” Asbæk said in an interview with INSIDER. “You want to just focus on family and your friends and make sure you’re not working.”
“We started watching ‘Modern Family,’ which is a very different show, I’ll tell you that,” he said.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Danish actor Pilou Asbæk joined the cast of HBO’s “Game of Thrones” for its sixth season, when the character of Euron Greyjoy joined the fray. Prior to getting this dream job, Asbæk loved watching the show. But now, he says he hasn’t watched a single new episode since season five.
“I was such a big fan of ‘Game of Thrones,’ I was a massive fan,” Asbæk said in an interview with INSIDER. “I loved the show, it was my passion, but the moment it became my work, it became professional. So I had to detach myself a little bit from it.”
“It was my work, and you don’t want to bring home work,” he said. “You want to just focus on family and your friends and make sure you’re not working. So we had to skip it.”
This means Asbæk still hasn’t seen the latest episode, “The Bells,” in which his character Euron Greyjoy was killed off from the series. He filmed a brutal fight scene with costar Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (who plays Jaime Lannister) over the course of two days, but hasn’t seen the payoff on screen yet.
What do he and his family watch instead? An ABC sitcom that’s nothing like the gory and sex-filled “Game of Thrones.”
“We started watching ‘Modern Family,'” Asbæk said. “Which is a very different show, I’ll tell you that.”
For more on Asbæk’s experience with “Game of Thrones,” including why he was “bummed” the show’s version of Euron was nothing like the character in the books, read INSIDER’s full interview with the actor here.
- Read more:
- 29 questions we hope the ‘Game of Thrones’ series finale answers
- HBO releases just 2 photos from the ‘Game of Thrones’ series finale
- ‘Game of Thrones’ star Pilou Asbæk says he’s rooting for the showrunners: ‘Right now, people are very angry’
- 57 details you might have missed so far on the final season of ‘Game of Thrones’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.