- “Game of Thrones” co-stars Kit Harington and Rose Leslie met on set when they played love interests Jon Snow and Ygritte.
- The couple started dating in real life and were married by the summer of 2018.
“I have no idea if we will, but say me and Rose do have children,” Harington told GQ Australia. “They will know. They will be able to see the genesis of their parents getting together. Which is quite a wonderful thought, really.”
- Harington has previously said his favourite memory of filming “Game of Thrones” was being in Iceland for the second season, because he “fell in love” there.
- You can read a complete timeline of Harington and Leslie’s love story here.
“Game of Thrones” c0-stars Kit Harington and Rose Leslie turned their on-screen tragic romance into a real-life fairy tale. The couple was married in the summer of 2018, and now Harington is looking to the future.
In a new profile with GQ Australia, Harington mused on the idea that “Game of Thrones” would serve as a poignant memory book for his possible children.
“It dawned on me, recently,” Harington told GQ’s Tom Lamont. “And I have no idea if we will, but say me and Rose do have children. They will know. They will be able to see the genesis of their parents getting together. Which is quite a wonderful thought, really.”
The couple met while filming the second season of “Game of Thrones” in 2011, when their characters Jon Snow and Ygritte met during Jon’s ranging mission beyond the wall. The ensuing romance between them was fraught with trust issues, betrayal, and literal arrows in their backs. Ygritte was killed during the battle of Castle Black, ending their tragic love story on screen.
During their time on the show together, Harington and Leslie reportedly began dating in real life starting around 2012. The couple kept their personal lives close to the chest for several years, until they made their red carpet debut as a couple in April 2016.
That same year, when asked by Vogue Italia what his favourite memory of filming “Game of Thrones” was, Harington said it was the time he spent in Iceland filming the third season (which is when Jon Snow and Ygritte fall in love).
“Because the country is beautiful, because the Northern Lights are magical, and because it was there that I fell in love,” he told Vogue Italia. “If you’re already attracted to someone, and then they play your love interest in the show, it becomes very easy to fall in love.”
The couple announced their engagement in 2017, and were married at a small ceremony in Scotland the following summer.
Though Leslie’s time on “Game of Thrones” ended with the fourth season, Harington only recently wrapped filming on the epic final season set to premiere in April of this year. He told GQ Australia that the final push of shooting was gruelling and exhausting, but he’s grateful for the entire experience.
“I thank the show for everything,” Harington said. “But more than anything else, I thank it for introducing me to her.”
- Read more:
- A complete timeline of ‘Game of Thrones’ stars Kit Harington and Rose Leslie’s real-life love story
- See the best photos from Kit Harington and Rose Leslie’s stunning wedding day
- 5 things you didn’t know about ‘Game of Thrones’ star Kit Harington
- Kit Harington cried 2 times while reading the scripts for the final season of ‘Game of Thrones’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.