- Warning: Spoilers for HBO’s “Game of Thrones” season eight, episode one.
- During the season eight premiere of the HBO show, Sam Tarly told Jon Snow who his real parents were.
- Jon was shocked at the revelation and didn’t appear thrilled by it.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
Sam Tarly wasted no time telling Jon Snow the truth about his parents during Sunday’s “Game of Thrones” premiere on HBO.
Shortly after arriving at Winterfell with Daenerys Targaryen and her army, Jon visited the Stark family crypt. Sam finds Jon and tells him that he’s the only living heir of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen (Daenerys’ brother) and Lyanna Stark (Ned’s sister), and therefore heir to the Iron Throne.
Jon is visibly distraught at the news, and fans had a field day over his emotional reaction.
Some people made jokes about Jon not wanting to be king.
— Nicole Coconato (@Trendy241) April 15, 2019
The night’s watch: we wanna make Jon Snow Lord Commander.
Jon snow: oh please no
Lords of the north: we wanna make Jon Snow King in the North
Jon snow: i don’t want to be.
Sam: you’re the heir to the iron throne, Aegon Targaryen IV of his name.
Jon snow: pic.twitter.com/9AxXnaw5c2
— Jaelan (@jaelan_7) April 15, 2019
— Alfredo (@BrutalXL) April 15, 2019
— experiment 626 (@AngelOf_Jah) April 15, 2019
Others played on the now-famous quote uttered by Ygritte, ‘You know nothing, Jon Snow’
— Nonjabulo (@nonjabulo_c) April 15, 2019
Others pointed out that Jon must be realising that he slept with his aunt
— ｋａｔｅ (@k8royer) April 15, 2019
— Chris Kuzyk (@_KOOZ_) April 15, 2019
It’s unclear what Jon will choose to do with this information. Northerners already don’t trust Daenerys and if they were to learn Jon was a Targaryen, that could spell even more trouble. But Jon does have a claim to the throne if he chooses to become king. There’s also the possibility that Sam will choose to tell the truth if Jon doesn’t.
“Game of Thrones” airs Sundays at 9 p.m. ET on HBO.
- Read more:
- ‘Game of Thrones’ has been hinting at Jon Snow’s true parentage since season one – here’s every clue we spotted
- Why Jon Snow’s ‘real’ name is so confusing for some fans
- Many viewers hated the happiest scene on the ‘Game of Thrones’ premiere, and it could foreshadow a larger drama between 2 main characters
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.