- Warning: Spoilers ahead for HBO’s “Game of Thrones” season eight, episode four, “The Last of the Starks.”
- On Sunday’s episode, Gendry was made Lord of Storm’s End and promptly asked Arya Stark to marry him and be his lady.
- She turned him down.
- “She quite rightly told him where to go,” actor Joe Dempise (Gendry) told Esquire in a new interview. “What a stupid question! I think he knows deep down in his heart of hearts there is no way Arya will ever be anyone’s lady.”
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
HBO’s “Game of Thrones” doesn’t make time for many happy endings when it comes to love stories. On Sunday’s episode, the newly appointed Lord Gendry Baratheon of Storm’s End (played by Joe Dempsie) proposed to Arya Stark, and was swiftly turned down.
“Gendry just got a bit excited, didn’t he?” Dempsie said in a new interview with Esquire.. “He’d just been made a lord … And he just got a bit gassed and asked someone to marry him. And she quite rightly told him where to go.”
Arya and Gendry had sex for the first time the night before the major battle of Winterfell, during which Arya killed the Night King and became the hero of the Great War. But she’s been clear, ever since she was a little girl, about why she would never grow up to be a lady in a castle.
So Gendry’s proposal and declaration of love, while a sweet gesture, was not returned in kind.
“What a stupid question!” Demspie told Esquire. “I think he knows deep down in his heart of hearts there is no way Arya will ever be anyone’s lady.”
Arya specifically told Gendry “that’s not [her],” a callback line of dialogue we heard on both the seventh season when she saw her direwolf, Nymeria, and on the first season when Arya was talking to her father. Now she’s heading down to King’s Landing with Sandor Clegane, and says she has no intention of coming back. Will she ever see Gendry again? The final two episodes of “Game of Thrones” will tell.
You can read Esquire’s full profile of Joe Dempsie here.
- Read more:
- 9 new ‘Game of Thrones’ photos show Team Daenerys reeling after Cersei’s devastating move last week
- ‘Game of Thrones’ director David Nutter explains Jaime’s heartbreaking choice on Sunday’s episode
- 12 details you might have missed on the latest episode of ‘Game of Thrones’
- Next week’s ‘Game of Thrones’ episode will feature the final battle of the whole series. Watch the new teaser here.