- Warning: Spoilers ahead for HBO’s “Game of Thrones” season eight, episode four, “The Last of the Starks.”
- On Sunday’s episode, at long last, Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth slept together.
- But by the end of the episode, Jaime had abandoned Brienne to reunite with his twin sister and longtime love, Cersei.
- Fans, and fans of their relationship in particular, are emotional and confused.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
On Sunday’s episode of HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” after many seasons of furtive glances and veiled declarations of love, Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth became a real couple. But by the end of the episode, their relationship had already crumbled.
Fans had long suspected that Jaime and Brienne have real feelings for each other. And on season eight, episode four, “The Last of the Starks,” they finally slept together.
“I’ve never slept with a knight before,” Jaime told her, after coming to her room and admitting he was jealous of her other notable suitor.
“I’ve never slept with anyone before,” Brienne replied, just before he kissed her.
“I think going through sharing the experience of surviving the war together and saving each others’ lives continuously proves to be a very heady combination,” Gwendoline Christie, who plays Brienne, told Entertainment Weekly. “Physicality often releases emotion and I think that’s what happens – working together unlocked them.”
Jaime even decided to remain in Winterfell with Brienne, which seemed to cement them as a couple.
Fans of their relationship – many of whom had been rooting for this moment since they met on season two – were thrilled.
— Andy Lu (@andrealucia98) May 6, 2019
— art vandelay (@myrebelvoice) May 6, 2019
The people I am watching the program with are not happy about this and I have never felt so alone
— Carrie Wittmer ???? (@carriesnotscary) May 6, 2019
I HAVE NEVER WANTED ANYTHING MORE THAN JAIME AND BRIENNE TO BE TOGETHER AND I AM NOT ASHAMED #GOT
— Kristin ChiricoooOooooOoooOoOoo!!! (@lolacoaster) May 6, 2019
— MOVED! check bio! (@tusktief) May 6, 2019
Shortly after this tender scene, however, the much-hyped relationship crumbled. By the end of the episode, Jaime had abandoned Brienne to either join the battle against his twin sister and longtime love, Cersei, or reunite with her.
Fans of the two characters – and especially fans of Brienne – were quick to voice their “emotional whiplash,” expressing feelings of confusion and betrayal.
— Jamie "Bly's Gardener" Jirak ???? (@JamieCinematics) May 6, 2019
— ????️????Brittany ‘Wear A Mask!’ S????️???? (@britbratsat) May 6, 2019
— stupid dumb idiot bitch (@gotslut2) May 6, 2019
“It’s so heartbreaking,” Christie told Entertainment Weekly. “I never assumed they would be together. I didn’t think that would happen. And now I can feel a million hearts breaking.”
brienne/jaime fans surprised that he once again picked cersei https://t.co/mnN6BYiDq9
— sarah @ acnh (@mahouatsuko) May 6, 2019
- Read more:
- Next week’s ‘Game of Thrones’ episode will feature the final battle of the whole series. Watch the new teaser here.
- 17 actors who missed out on the roles of a lifetime on ‘Game of Thrones’
- WHERE ARE THEY NOW: 33 actors who were killed off ‘Game of Thrones’
- The final season of ‘Game of Thrones’ was doomed to be divisive, and the Night King twist shows why
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.