- Warning: Major spoilers ahead for “Game of Thrones” season eight, episode six, “The Iron Throne.”
- On the series finale of HBO’s hit show, Jon Snow was exiled and sent to the Night’s Watch for killing his queen, Daenerys Targaryen.
- At Castle Black, he reunited with his loyal direwolf Ghost.
- Fans were thrilled when the two shared a tender moment – especially after Jon gave him a disappointing goodbye earlier this season.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Although the series finale of HBO’s “Game of Thrones” gave Jon Snow a bittersweet ending, his final scenes thankfully included a long-awaited reunion with his loyal direwolf, Ghost.
As is typical for his character, Jon found himself at the center of a moral conflict when his lover and queen, Daenerys Targaryen,firebombed King’s Landing. He decided to kill her before she could inflict any more harm on innocent people, and found himself exiled from the capital as a result.
Jon was sent back North, forced to rejoin the Night’s Watch as punishment – but as any viewer knows, Jon spent some of his happiest moments beyond the Wall. He’s able to reconnect with his true identity as a Northman, illustrated by his reunion with Ghost at Castle Black.
The sigil of House Stark is a direwolf, so Ghost represents Jon’s connection to his family.
When Jon said goodbye to Ghost earlier this season on episode four – without so much as a pat on the head – it broke fans’ hearts. Many saw the scene as a way to represent Jon turning his back on House Stark and embracing his Targaryen blood.
So after killing Daenerys, who was the embodiment of House Targaryen’s power and brutality, it makes sense that Ghost would take his place by Jon’s side once again.
Fans are thrilled that Jon and Ghost finally shared a tender moment, especially since the direwolf was sidelined for multiple seasons. Jon hadn’t physically “touched” Ghost since season four, when Jon was still a brother of the Night’s Watch.
Jon Snow and Ghost reunited:
My Emotions: pic.twitter.com/mkSGerCdqj
— Cameron Grant (@coolcam101) May 20, 2019
I don't even care what else happened because Ghost got his happy ending. HE'S THE VERY BEST BOI! pic.twitter.com/akeUY5KLmX
— David (Razor) Harris (@House_Razor) May 20, 2019
— Andrew McCarthy (@andrewm1119) May 20, 2019
— Gillian Storm (@311nvrhappened) May 20, 2019
— Lily Williams (@L_Williams02) May 20, 2019
Many fans joked that the “Thrones” showrunners only added the scene after fans’ outraged reactions to their lacklustre goodbye on episode four.
— squidnie (@sydniefatt) May 20, 2019
— philip lewis (@Phil_Lewis_) May 20, 2019
Some said it was the best part – or even the only good part – of the series finale.
me: wow this is riddled with easily resolved plot holes and strange narrative inconsistencie—
*Jon reunites with Ghost*
me: good episode imo
— Mina Kimes (@minakimes) May 20, 2019
Only good ending was Ghost
— Dad (@fivefifths) May 20, 2019
— Imanol (@Imalesor) May 20, 2019
- Read more:
- Here’s every ‘Game of Thrones’ character on the Westeros council, the ones responsible for that game-changing decision on the series finale
- People are furious at who ‘won’ the throne on the shocking series finale of ‘Game of Thrones’
- A major death on the ‘Game of Thrones’ series finale has fans calling foul
- Daenerys Targaryen’s downfall on ‘Game of Thrones’ aligns brilliantly with George R.R. Martin’s beliefs about the troubling morals of war
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.