- Warning: Spoilers ahead for HBO’s “Game of Thrones” season eight, episode three, “The Long Night.”
- Sunday’s episode of the HBO show featured the Battle of Winterfell.
- The Night King brought devastation to the castle, but some of the fighting was difficult to see because it was so dark.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
The Night King’s army left destruction in its wake during Sunday night’s episode of “Game of Thrones.”
The devastating Battle of Winterfell claimed the lives of some fan favourites on the HBO show but left many others alive. But following the epic battle, fans could not stop talking about how impossible it was to see certain scenes on the show because it’s so dark.
— Temo (@Temo_lugo93) April 29, 2019
— Leon (@goonerleon10) April 29, 2019
— Grace Kelley (@GraceFacesPlace) April 29, 2019
— Nora Dominick (@noradominick) April 29, 2019
The idea is “to make these sets and locations feel as if they’re absolutely not lit by us, but only by Mother Nature or some candles,” he continued, “so that it feels more naturalistic, albeit enhanced in some cases.”
But some people argued that the show didn’t need to be realistic
Sure we can’t see anything on #GameofThrones without squinting, but the thing is, it’s DARK at night and the ice dragon show is extremely committed to realism
— Caroline Darya Framke (@carolineframke) April 29, 2019
Article says GOT is dark because the show’s creators wanted it to be realistic.. ITS A SHOW ABOUT FLYING DRAGONS AND ZOMBIES, NO ONE IS HERE FOR REALISM – GIMME SOME LIGHT https://t.co/nPPGOUYL2b
— Casey Neistat (@Casey) April 29, 2019
Game of Thrones is so dark because they want the lighting to be realistic but considering the show has DRAGONS and ZOMBIES is that REALLY NECESSARY
— irene anna (bday version) (@enerianna) April 29, 2019
“Game of Thrones” airs Sundays at 9 p.m. ET on HBO.
- Read more:
- 15 details you might have missed on the latest episode of ‘Game of Thrones’
- ‘Game of Thrones’ pulled a lot of punches during the epic Battle of Winterfell, and fans can’t decide if they’re relieved or disappointed
- Every ‘Game of Thrones’ character who survived the Battle of Winterfell
- HBO’s teaser for the next ‘Game of Thrones’ episode shows the threat our heroes will grapple with after the Battle of Winterfell
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.