- Warning: Major spoilers ahead for the series finale of HBO’s “Game of Thrones.”
- HBO’s new documentary about the last season of “Game of Thrones” features footage from the cast’s table read of all six final episodes.
- Kit Harington (who plays Jon Snow) was one of the only actors who had purposefully not read the scripts yet.
- This means he was shocked, and almost immediately began crying, when they got to the part where Jon Snow stabs Daenerys Targaryen, killing her.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
On Sunday night, HBO premiered a new two-hour long documentary called “The Last Watch,” which chronicles the making of the final season of “Game of Thrones.” Towards the start of the film, we see footage from the exact moment when Kit Harington (who plays Jon Snow) realised his character would kill Daenerys Targaryen.
The cast were sent all six episode scripts about three days before they came to Belfast, Northern Ireland, for a massive table read. But Kit Harington was one of the only actors who had chosen not to look at what was in store.
This means all of his co-stars were prepared for the shock of Jon slipping a dagger into Dany’s heart – but Kit Harington was stunned.
Harington pushed away from the table with his hand on his mouth right as cowriter and executive producer Bryan Cogman says, “We see Jon with his hand still on the hilt of the dagger he just lodged in Dany’s heart.”
He was sitting across the table from Emilia Clarke (Daenerys), who had already read the heartbreaking scene. She pulled some faces at Harington, while others around them looked both surprised or gleeful to see Harington’s real-time response.
Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) looks shocked too, so perhaps she didn’t read the scripts.
Jon Snow’s decision to kill Daenerys came after she burned the city of King’s Landing, ascending at last to the Iron Throne but making a troubling case for continued warfare in the process. The exact way in which Jon kills Daenerys, with a blade through her heart, was part of one of the biggest prophecies involved in George R.R. Martin’s original book series. You can read all about that prophecy and how it predicted Dany’s death here.
Watch the entire season eight table read scene unfold on “Game of Thrones: The Last Watch,” directed by Jeanie Finlay, which is streaming now on all HBO platforms.
- Read more:
- Here’s why Drogon destroyed the Iron Throne in the dramatic finale scene – and where he may have gone next
- Every major question we still have after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale
- 21 details you might have missed on the final episode of ‘Game of Thrones’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.