- Warning: Spoilers ahead for HBO’s “Game of Thrones.”
- HBO premiered its behind-the-scenes documentary “Game of Thrones: The Last Watch” on Sunday.
- In it, a producer confirmed that several actors were brought in to the Seville, Spain set to act as decoys.
- News and photos of actors on-set can potentially lead to unwanted spoilers.
- It isn’t the first time the show’s producers have used the tactic.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
HBO’s behind-the-scenes documentary of “Game of Thrones” confirmed that producers flew in actors to its Seville, Spain set to throw off potential leaks of the finale season.
The documentary, titled “The Last Watch,” gave fans a look at the production of the hit show’s final season. And when the fantasy drama hit Seville, it showed several actors who weren’t shooting scenes arrived, as well.
“It’s very hard to keep the cast quiet, because when in Spain, you must eat and drink. So, they’re going to be out and about, and so we brought out a few ringers,” “GoT” Executive Producer Bernadette Caulfield said on the documentary, which aired Sunday.
The decoy actors included Kit Harington (who played Jon Snow); Vladimir Furdik (The Night King); as well as Faye Marsay and Tom Wlaschiha (The Waif and Jaqen H’ghar, respectively, of the Faceless Men), who we haven’t seen on the show since season six.
“It’s weird,” Harington said in one scene. “I’ve come out as basically a decoy … It feels weird being here and not actually filming.”
The scenes shot in Seville occur after the sacking of King’s Landing and the death of Daenerys (played by Emilia Clarke) at the hand of Jon Snow in which a counsel of Westeros leaders choose Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) as their new king.
The producers know that fans and paparazzi are ever-present around its international shooting locations, and reports of these sightings can give away plot points. And it isn’t the first time decoy actors were employed by the series to counteract leaks.
During season six, Sibel Kekilli, who played Shae on the first four seasons of “GoT” and died at the hands of Tyrion on the fourth season finale, was spotted on set in Peniscola, Spain, and in costume during the filming of the sixth season. She, of course, never appeared on-screen again, and later confirmed she had been flown in to be a decoy.
- Read more:
- The ‘Game of Thrones’ documentary reveals a key detail about how Arya was able to attack the Night King
- The new ‘Game of Thrones’ documentary shows the exact moment when Kit Harington realised what Jon Snow does to Daenerys on the finale
- I’m a huge ‘Game of Thrones’ fan and I think the finale was good – sorry
- ‘Game of Thrones’ fans are recasting the show with all black actors, and their suggestions are spot-on
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.