- Warning: There are spoilers ahead for season eight, episode four of “Game of Thrones,” titled “The Last of the Starks.”
- Sunday’s episode of the HBO show featured a misplaced coffee cup spotted on set.
- Some crew members from the show have spoken about the surprise of seeing the cup.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
“Game of Thrones” fans didn’t miss a take-out coffee cup when it appeared for a quick second during Sunday’s episode of the HBO drama, titled “The Last of the Starks.”
The moment quickly went viral and some crew members have since spoken about the rogue coffee cup.
Hauke Richter, an art director for the show during seasons four through eight, told Variety in an email that though he hadn’t yet seen the episode, a misplaced item is not uncommon on sets and that it wasn’t a big deal.
“Things can get forgotten on set,” Richter wrote. He also said that the reaction was “so blown out of proportion [because] it has not happened with ‘Thrones’ so far.”
Bernie Caulfield, an executive producer of “Game of Thrones,” told WNYC that she didn’t even know if the cup was real when she first saw it.
“Our on-set prop people and decorators are so on it, 1,000% … nowadays, you can’t believe what you see because people can put things into a photo that doesn’t really make sense, but I guess maybe it was there, I’m not sure,” she said.
She also joked about Westeros being the first place to have a Starbucks, though HBO has confirmed that the cup was actually just one from craft services.
“The latte that appeared in the episode was a mistake. Daenerys had ordered an herbal tea,” HBO told INSIDER in a statement.
The cup appeared briefly around 17 minutes into the episode during a scene with Daenerys, but it has been edited out of the episode as of Tuesday.
“Game of Thrones” airs on Sundays at 9 p.m. ET on HBO.
- Read more:
- Next week’s ‘Game of Thrones’ episode will feature the final battle of the whole series. Watch the new teaser here.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ went to extreme lengths to keep the latest character death secret, and you’d never notice the extra visual effects
- RANKED: The 5 most talked-about moments from the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ episode
- 12 details you might have missed on the latest episode of ‘Game of Thrones’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.