- Warning: Spoilers ahead for the “Game of Thrones” season eight, episode four, “The Last of the Starks.”
- Fans spotted a rogue coffee cup sitting in the background of Winterfell’s feast scene. Fans are calling it a Starbucks cup, though the logo is not identifiable as such.
- The cup appears before Daenerys Targaryen for only a couple of seconds while Tormund is toasting to Jon Snow.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
Sunday night’s “Game of Thrones” episode featured a surprising detail. Shortly after the episode aired, tweets started going viral showing a coffee cup seemingly left on a table by mistake during a feast scene.
About 17 minutes into season eight, episode four, “The Last of the Starks,” a to-go coffee cup appears on the table in front of Daenerys Targaryen.
Need a closer look? Here’s the coffee cup as it appears on the aired version of the episode, which INSIDER streamed via HBO Now on Sunday evening.
my favorite show in the entire world forgot a STARBUCKS COFFEE CUP ON THE TABLE WHILE FILMING pic.twitter.com/60z3pOCfg9
— zane (@zane) May 6, 2019
Winterfell really got the first Starbucks in history. Crazy. pic.twitter.com/abslRqwZKr
— Matthew A. Cherry (@MatthewACherry) May 6, 2019
— Allison Minick (@Allison_Minick) May 6, 2019
— Joseph (@TheGeneralSYD) May 6, 2019
Though many people online have described the object as a Starbucks cup, the logo on the cup’s side is unclear.
HBO’s behind-the-scenes video, “The Game Revealed,” includes a small appearance by a similar-looking coffee cup, suggesting that particular brand is common on the “Game of Thrones” set.
Last season, an image from the show featuring a pickup truck in the background circulated online. But that was simply a screenshot taken from a behind-the-scenes video. There was never a truck on the actual aired version of the episode. This time, the anachronistic coffee cup really did appear on the version of the episode that aired to folks on Sunday night.
For more background moments like this you might have missed, read our breakdown of 12 details from Sunday’s “Game of Thrones.”
- Read more:
- Watch the trailer for next week’s ‘Game of Thrones’ episode
- The final season of ‘Game of Thrones’ was doomed to be divisive, and the Night King twist shows why
- ‘Game of Thrones’ star Daniel Portman teases his ‘intense and sad’ final day on set as Podrick Payne
- Fans say they have ’emotional whiplash’ after ‘Game of Thrones’ abruptly tore apart Jaime and Brienne
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.