- Warning: Spoilers ahead for “Game of Thrones” season eight, episode four, “The Last of the Starks.”
- Missandei was captured and executed by Cersei during Sunday’s episode of the HBO show.
- Nathalie Emmanuel, the actress who plays Missandei, didn’t film her death scene with the other cast members.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
Daenerys Targaryen and Grey Worm were forced to watch Missandei’s brutal execution during Sunday’s episode of HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” “The Last of the Starks,” but Nathalie Emmanuel, the actress who plays Missandei, filmed the scene alone.
In the behind-the-scenes “Game Revealed” video for episode four, Stefen Fangmeier, the on-set VFX supervisor for episodes one, two, and four, said Emmanuel filmed the scene on a green screen and was digitally added later to prevent any leaks.
The set for the castle wall and gates were about 56 feet high and 200 feet wide, which is difficult to hide, so much of the close-up work during the scene was filmed using green screens.
“Having her stand up there, you know, 40 feet high, there was no way to hide that,” Fangmeier said. “So again, later on, we were adding her in there now, oftentimes as a digi-double. But for the close-up work, we shot her separately on stage to composite her on that location so we could put it together.”
Cersei executed Missandei after Daenerys refused to surrender. When asked for her final words, Missandei shouted, “Dracarys.”
The word, meaning “dragonfire” in Valyrian, is meant for Dany to understand and know that Missandei wants Dany to rain fire on Cersei and her army.
Watching Missandei held in chains and later beheaded is sure to have a massive effect on Dany during the war for the Iron Throne.
“Game of Thrones” airs Sundays at 9 p.m. ET on HBO.
- Read more:
- Next week’s ‘Game of Thrones’ episode will feature the final battle of the whole series. Watch the new teaser here.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ broke the hearts of fans everywhere by writing off one of the most important characters in the books
- RANKED: The 5 most talked-about moments from the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ episode
- 12 details you might have missed on the latest episode of ‘Game of Thrones’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.