- Warning: Major spoilers ahead for HBO’s “Game of Thrones” season eight, episode five, “The Bells.”
- Cersei Lannister finally met her end on Sunday’s climactic episode, crushed in the collapsing tunnels underneath King’s Landing.
- Many expected the villainous character’s death to have some kind of poetic justice, and fans predicted she’d be killed by a main character.
- Her actual fate was unexpected and, some say, anticlimactic.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Although HBO’s “Game of Thrones” built a reputation for abruptly killing off major characters, many fans expected Cersei Lannister to die on Sunday’s episode – and yet, it still caught many off guard.
Cersei finally met her end on the final season’s climactic fifth episode, titled “The Bells,” in the tunnels underneath King’s Landing. She and her twin brother, Jaime Lannister, were crushed as they tried to escape the collapsing city together.
“Please don’t let me die. I don’t want to die,” Cersei tells Jaime in her final moments. “Not like this.”
Cersei was arguably the show’s most devious, hated villain throughout all eight seasons, and so many viewers expected her death to carry some kind of poetic justice. Plenty of fan theories posited she would be killed by another main character, like her longtime lover and twin brother Jaime or the master assassin Arya Stark.
Even Lena Headey hoped her own character would die at the hands of Arya, or one of Cersei’s own brothers.
Cersei’s actual fate was somewhat anticlimactic. We weren’t given a final showdown or one of Headey’s masterful monologues. Instead, the murderous queen was killed by falling building rubble.
all that Cersei buildup and she died from poor infrastructure
— Steadman™ (@AsteadWesley) May 13, 2019
— sweet sam loves mellie || WEARP 4B SPOILERS!!! (@AlwaysJisbon) May 13, 2019
— EMBARAZZING ™ (@fatimas_hra) May 13, 2019
I waited 8 seasons to see pebbles fall on Cersei head? Wow idk. Irdfk.
— ⓚ. ⓡ ⓞ ⓑ (@K_ROB_9) May 13, 2019
— KOFID-19 (@KAPRI_KOFI) May 13, 2019
We really were debating over which Lannister was gonna end Cersei or which face Arya was gonna use… and the cause of death was rocks. I’m done with the theories honestly. #demthrones pic.twitter.com/N7L88PhUb0
— ???? (@ariannalexus) May 13, 2019
cersei did all that just to get offed by some rocks pic.twitter.com/y5kEwM8thb
— edward (@edxard) May 13, 2019
Many fans thought Cersei’s death was just one example of disappointing payoffs and confusing character developments on the show’s final season.
— Jorge (@maktub8a) May 13, 2019
after eight season cersei died like a little bitch by some ROCKS, jaime turned out to be the fuck we always thought he was, dany turned into the mad queen….all that character development? OUT THE WINDOW pic.twitter.com/OlXb1zGSeb
— madeleine???? (@madeleinea922) May 13, 2019
Others, however, are just pleased that she’s gone. Some thought her death was fitting simply because it was unexpected.
- Read more:
- A psychologist analysed ‘Game of Thrones’ Cersei Lannister and diagnosed her with a personality disorder
- Fans say they have ’emotional whiplash’ after ‘Game of Thrones’ abruptly tore apart Jaime and Brienne, a much-hyped couple
- ‘Game of Thrones’ fans are calling Sansa’s most memorable line from episode four ‘sick and disappointing’
- ‘Game of Thrones’ comes to an end next week with one final 80-minute long episode. Watch the new teaser here.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.