- March Madness history was made as Virginia became the first 1-seed to ever lose to a 16-seed.
- One gambler cashed in big time by wagering $US800 on UMBC to win outright.
- The $US800 bet at the Venetian in Las Vegas won the gambler nearly $US17,000 at 20-1 odds.
March Madness history was made as Virginia became the first 1-seed to ever lose to a 16-seed, falling to Maryland-Baltimore County, 74-54.
The upset shocked the basketball world and busted nearly 20% of the brackets at ESPN that had Virginia winning the entire tournament.
One wager that wasn’t busted was reportedly a gambler at the Venetian in Las Vegas who wagered $US800 on UMBC to win outright. That’s right, one person bet $US800 on a 16-seed to not just cover the spread, but to win, at 20-1 odds.
The payout? Nearly $US17,000.
Wow! $800 to win $16,800 on MD Baltimore to beat Virginia! pic.twitter.com/dfalD6WNvJ
— RJ Bell (@RJinVegas) March 17, 2018
Not a bad day’s work.
More March Madness:
- LIVE BRACKET
- GAME SCHEDULE
- Our best bets for the first round of March Madness
- The most common Final Four picks and predictions
- How to watch March Madness online
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.