- Forbes released its annual list of America’s wealthiest celebrities Tuesday.
- Kylie Jenner and Jay-Z are tied at No. 5 with net worths of $US900 million.
- The two stars are topped by George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey, and Michael Jordan.
- David Copperfield, Diddy, Tiger Woods, and James Patterson also made it on the list.
Jenner nabbed the No. 5 position with a net worth of $US900 million, tied with hip-hop entrepreneur Jay-Z. A large portion of the 21-year-old’s earnings is generated from her cosmetics company, which has become a global success since launching lip kits in 2015 and officially naming the company Kylie Cosmetics in 2016.
Moreover, Forbes conservatively listed the company at $US800 million, with an estimated $US330 million in sales in 2017. And the brand has flourished with Jenner, who’s the sole owner, being the face of Kylie Cosmetics. The star, whose life has been documented on E!’s “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” since she was 10 years old, has a combined total of more than 145 million followers on Twitter and Instagram alone.
Jenner’s self-owned brand combined with her TV appearances, her Pac Sun clothing line with Kendall Jenner, and photo shoots have also contributed to her $US900 net worth.
Back in July, Jenner appeared on the cover of Forbes’ “America’s Women Billionaires” issue and was named the 27th richest self-made woman in the US, earning significantly more than her famous family members. Some people also took issue with Forbes describing her as “self-made” and publication later defended their assessment and methodology, stating: “We consider any person who built her own fortune, and didn’t inherit the money, to be self-made.”
It’s quite a meteoric rise for Jenner compared to Jay-Z , whose chart-topping music career spans decades. Music aside, the 49-year-old is also involved in business ventures. This includes co-founding Roc-A-Fella Records in 1995, co-founding the clothing retailer Rocawear (which was sold in 2007 for $US204 million), and owning an upscale sports bar and nightclub in Manhattan called the 40/40 Club. Jay-Z also bought the company behind the music-streaming service Tidal, which is worth approximately $US600 million.
Jenner and Jay-Z’s net worths are exceeded by George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey, and Michael Jordan.
Here’s the full list:
- George Lucas – $US5.4 billion
- Steven Spielberg – $US3.7 billion
- Oprah Winfrey – $US2.8 billion
- Michael Jordan – $US1.7 billion
- (TIE) Kylie Jenner – $US900 million
- (TIE) Jay-Z – $US900 million
- David Copperfield – $US875 million
- Diddy – $US825 million
- (TIE) Tiger Woods – $US800 million
- (TIE) James Patterson – $US800 million
For more details on America’s wealthiest celebrities, read the article on Forbes.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.