Former five-weight world boxing champion Floyd Mayweather has confirmed that he came out of retirement for business opportunities, and senses a record-breaking match-up with UFC superstar Conor McGregor.
“There’s only one fight that makes business sense,” Mayweather told reporters at York Hall in London on Wednesday evening.
“I came out of retirement because I’m a businessman and I want to give the world what they want to see.
“McGregor’s a fighter. I’m a fighter. This is what the fight fans and MMA fans want to see.”
Earlier this week, the UFC president Dana White confirmed that he and Conor McGregor had finalised their terms for the historic boxing-rules showdown.
Speaking to the media for the first time since White’s revelation, Mayweather hinted that UFC power-brokers had not yet initiated a chain of communication with Team Mayweather.
“I’m not here to throw anybody under the bus [and] I can’t sit here and say that they are waiting on us. I’m not saying that. And we’re not waiting on them.
“I have a team for [negotiating] but as soon as their side [the UFC] communicates with our side, then the fight will happen.”
It had been speculated that a Mayweather versus McGregor bout could eclipse half a billion dollars in revenue but Mayweather believes it can break all boxing records.
“I think we can do record-breaking numbers.”
Mayweather added: “[But McGregor is] just another fight for me. Another fight that fans want to see.”
More from Alan Dawson:
- Floyd Mayweather reaffirms desire for Conor McGregor fight: ‘I want to give the world what they want to see’
- Re-signing former academy graduate Michael Keane could cost Manchester United £40 million
- Europa League title is worth £60.5 million to Man United and its players
- This 63-year-old ex-footballer, who played with Pele and Beckenbauer, now makes a living as an Uber driver
- UFC president Dana White says he and Conor McGregor have agreed on a deal to allow fight with Floyd Mayweather
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.