- Haley Zager, 30, was charged with second-degree felony child abuse and drug possession after an incident on Saturday at a game centre in Boca Raton, Florida.
- The police said in a criminal complaint that Zager was at the centre’s go-kart course on Saturday when she slapped an 11-year-old Black boy and called him a racist slur after he crashed into her.
- The police also said that when they searched Zager, they found a variety of pills in an Altoids container she had hidden in her underwear.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A white woman in Florida was charged with second-degree child abuse after she slapped an 11-year-old Black boy and called him a racist slur after a go-kart crash at a game centre, the police said.
A criminal complaint seen by Insider said the incident took place on Saturday at Boomers, an entertainment centre in Boca Raton.
Witnesses told the police that Haley Zager, 30, confronted the boy after he rear-ended her go-kart with his. The boy’s father told the police that a larger collision had led to a chain reaction of rear-end collisions, including his son’s and Zager’s.
“At the conclusion of the go-kart ride, Zager got out of her go-kart, approached (the boy) and slapped him in the face,” a Boca Raton police officer named Ricky Lee Clinard wrote in the complaint.
Zager told the police that she “tapped” the boy on the face. The criminal complaint said the boy had swelling on his left cheek.
“Zager immediately stated that she shouldn’t have hit the child. Zager spontaneously uttered her account of what happened,” Clinard wrote. “After the incident, Zager told a Boomers employee ‘That f—ing n—– hit me in the back.'”
During a search after Zager’s arrest, the police found a variety of pills in an Altoids container she had hidden in her underwear, the complaint said.
In addition to the second-degree felony child-abuse charges, she was charged with drug possession.
She was released from jail on her own recognizance and is scheduled to appear in court in October.
- Read more:
- A Black professor says her university’s campus security asked her for proof she rightfully lives in on-campus faculty housing
- Photos show the protests that erupted in Kenosha after police officers fired on Jacob Blake 7 times in the back
- Lack of access to a park is a ‘dangerous disparity’ facing nonwhite and low-income communities, new study shows
- Black babies are 3 times more likely to die when cared for by white doctors. Their mortality rate plunges with Black doctors.