- There have been no new fatalities confirmed in the Florida condo collapse, officials said Tuesday.
- Search-and-rescue teams are enduring “grueling work” at the site where debris has fallen off what’s left of the building, said the officials.
- As of Tuesday, there were still 11 confirmed deaths in last week’s collapse with more than 150 people unaccounted for.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Search-and-rescue teams are enduring “grueling work” at the site of the Florida condo collapse, where debris has fallen off what’s left of the building near the rescue efforts, officials said Tuesday.
More than 200 rescue personnel are currently working on the massive pile of rubble at the site of the partly collapsed Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said during a press briefing.
“They are working throughout inclement weather. They are working as hard as they ever have,” Cava said. “They are able to make headway even in the face of all of those obstacles.”
Crews have been working in 12-hour shifts and are medically monitored “just to make sure they can get back on the mound because it is such painstaking, grueling work,” said Cava.
As of Tuesday, there were still 11 confirmed deaths in last week’s collapse with more than 150 people unaccounted for. No new fatalities were reported Tuesday.
“We truly have the best in the world conducting this [search-and-rescue] effort,” Cava said, noting, “There are more than sufficient personnel on-site. We do not need additional resources.”
Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said that overnight “there were issues with debris falling off the building” as rescue teams worked on the huge pile.
“The west side of the pile had to be cordoned off because it was becoming excessively dangerous to work there,” said Burkett.
However, Burkett said that the around-the-clock search effort will go on.
“Nobody is giving up hope here,” he said. “We’re dedicated to get everyone out of that rubble and reunite them with their families.”
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Chief Alan Cominsky said crews are continuing to dig through the mound of debris “layer by layer.”
“This is a very tedious effort,” Cominsky said, adding that rescuers have already lifted about 3 million pounds of concrete so far.
Cominsky said, “It’s a methodical, very difficult process.”
“As we’re removing debris, we’re just finding more debris that’s just concrete pulverized,” he said.
Last Thursday at around 1:30 a.m., a massive wing of the 12-story oceanfront condo building suddenly collapsed.