Here are some invaluable tips on how to negotiate a cheap hotel room or find accommodations in a hotel that claims to be fully booked:
• The best rates are not available online. Call the local number for the hotel and ask for the manager to negotiate a price.
• Ask about ‘out-of-order’ rooms. Rooms that have minor, non-hazardous imperfections (such as a broken lamp shade) are kept out of rotation, unless a customer asks for one.
• “Fully booked” rarely means “fully booked.” Hotels always get last minute cancellations that are slow to update online.
• Sunday is the best day to book a room. Hotel financial managers are off during the weekend, and the general managers can’t consult with them about what kind of discount is acceptable.
• Study your hotel bill the night before check-out for hidden fees. You are likely to miss extra tipping fees when you leave in the morning.
Watch the CBS report below for the full details.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.