The Great Barrier Reef is getting $535.9 million to secure the future of the World Heritage listed natural asset.
In Federal Government will provide $443.8 million to enter into a tied partnership fund with the Great Barrier Reef Foundation, a not for profit organisation dedicated to supporting the Reef.
According to federal budget papers, the fund will work to deliver programs to address the key challenges facing the Reef, including $200.6 million to improve water quality, $100 million to unlock new scientific insights to help strengthen the resilience of the reef through coral restoration and adaptation research and $58 million to fight the crown of thorns starfish.
The fund will also deliver $40 million to enhance Reef health monitoring and reporting, and $44.8 million will support delivery of the plan and engagement with Traditional Owners and the broader community to protect the Reef.
MORE FROM OUR FEDERAL BUDGET 2018 COVERAGE:
- FEDERAL BUDGET 2018: What you need to know
- What the income tax cuts mean for pay packets
- The government is banking on optimistic wage growth forecasts to achieve its budget goals
- WARREN HOGAN: The numbers are solid, avoiding temptation of a pre-election splurge
- How the budget is going to tackle Australia’s $50 billion black economy
- Where the revenue comes from and how taxpayer money is spent
- MAP: The government’s 10-year national infrastructure plan
- The key economic forecasts in the 2018 federal budget
- Here’s the full federal budget speech by Scott Morrison MP
- Restoring coral and fighting crown of thorns starfish at the Great Barrier Reef
- Australians are finally getting Consumer Data Rights
- Australia has a $225 million plan to make GPS more accurate
- Standard and Poor’s still has a negative outlook on Australia’s AAA credit rating
- INFOGRAPHIC: The major initiatives in the 2018-19 federal budget
- Here are some of the key tech and science projects getting funding in the federal budget
- The government is spending $294 million on increased airport security
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.