- Warning: There are spoilers ahead for the season five premiere of AMC’s “Fear the Walking Dead,” titled “Here to Help.”
- The end of Sunday’s season five premiere shows Althea (Maggie Grace) discover some documents and maps in the pockets of a walker.
- The documents contain the same symbol as the one we’ve seen on the mystery helicopter that whisked Rick away on “The Walking Dead.”
- In April, “Fear: TWD” coshowrunner Ian Goldberg teased one walker this season “will open a universe of possibilities for our storytelling.” It seems like this is the one.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
“Fear the Walking Dead” returned to AMC Sunday night. And if you weren’t watching closely, you may have missed a few important details that are starting to connect the spinoff to the larger “Walking Dead” universe.
If you’re invested in Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln), you’re going to want to take a second look.
At the beginning of the “Fear” premiere, Althea (Maggie Grace) fends off one of the undead who are heavily protected in special gear. Althea captures some footage of the walker and after looking at it for a while, the journalist decides to go back to the same area alone and in the dark to investigate a hunch some more. (Not the best idea.)
Althea finds and kills the walker without a problem. After searching the dead man’s pockets, she makes a shocking discovery. Inside a pouch are documents and transparent slides covered with a familiar symbol we’ve seen before.
The three circles combined are the same one that has been seen on the mystery helicopter which whisked both Rick and Jadis away on season nine, episode five of “The Walking Dead.”
According to official notes INSIDER received from AMC on the episode, the walker Althea finds is a soldier carrying maps. His uniform also has the three-ring symbol.
The maps have the letters “CRM” on them. The transparent slides Althea finds appear to show outlines of several different locations. At first we thought they may be states, but they don’t really match any shape. Each slide also contains the three-circle symbol in the top right corner and a letter at the bottom, probably for how many there are (exhibit A, B, C, etc.).
The slides Althea finds go through to the letter “L” from what we could tell, meaning there were at least a dozen slides in the pile she found all labelled with different numbers.
There also appears to be another document with a small radiation symbol included. What does it all mean and what does “CRM” stand for? It’s tough to say at this point. Before Althea can tell Morgan about her findings over the radio, she was knocked out by a mystery person who was wearing the same outfit as the walker Althea was searching.
We were expecting to see a mystery walker on the show, but not this soon. In April, “Fear the Walking Dead” coshowrunner Ian Goldberg teased a zombie this season would have ripple effects in “TWD” universe at large.
“There will be one walker in particular, I have to be careful saying this around [‘The Walking Dead’ universe chief content officer] Scott [Gimple]. Let’s just say this walker will open a universe of possibilities for our storytelling,” said Goldberg at AMC Networks’ annual summit in New York City, which INSIDER attended.
Presuming this new mystery man is connected to the helicopter people who have Rick, our next question is whether Althea may be considered an A or a B, the classification the helicopter people gave to certain survivors of the zombie apocalypse.
Honestly, the journalist could be neither. It’s more likely she was simply someone who was asking too many questions.
Hopefully, that’s not the last we see of Althea this season. As long as we get to see more of her story, we may get some hints of who this mystery group is and get an idea of where Rick was taken on season nine of “TWD.”
You can follow along with our “Walking Dead” coverage here.
- Read more:
- 9 theories about the mysterious radio call on the ‘Walking Dead’ season 9 finale
- 17 questions we have after ‘The Walking Dead’ season 9 finale
- ‘The Walking Dead’ showrunner breaks down the mysterious end of Sunday’s finale and teases what’s in store for season 10
- ‘The Walking Dead’ showrunner confirms fan-favourite Eduardo is alive and the actor tells us he’d love to be back on the show
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.