A game called “Exploding Kittens” just made Kickstarter history, after becoming the most-backed project ever with 219,382 supporters, and raising over 8 million dollars.
What a world.
“Exploding Kittens,” created by Matthew Inman of The Oatmeal, is a card game.
Here’s how it works.
- Set the deck of cards face down until someone draws the exploding kitten card.
- Whoever drew that card explodes, and “they are dead, they are out of the game,” Inman explains in the game’s Kickstarter video. But if that person also holds the diffuse cards, the explosion can be diffused by a number of things.
- Action cards can be found within the deck to help the players avoid having to face their demise should they draw the exploding kitten card.
Here’s the full Kickstarter video:
It looks fun! Over 200,000 people agreed, and poured their hard-earned dollars into “Exploding Kittens.”
“It more than doubled the previous record of 105,857, held by Reading Rainbow since last summer,” reads a post on the Kickstarter blog, where they also gave context to this incredible achievement of the “Exploding Kittens” creators and its massive fanbase by publishing the Kickstarter leaderboard.
Here it is:
1. Exploding Kittens – 219,382 backers
2. Bring Reading Rainbow Back for Every Child, Everywhere! – 105,857 backers
3. The Veronica Mars Movie Project – 91,585 backers
4. Double Fine Adventure – 87,142 backers
5. Torment: Tides of Numenera – 74,405 backers
6. Project Eternity – 73,986 backers
7. Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android – 68,929 backers
8. Mighty No. 9 – 67,226 backers
9. OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console – 63,416 backers
10. COOLEST COOLER: 21st Century Cooler that’s Actually Cooler – 62,642 backers
11. Wasteland 2 – 61,290 backers
The Kickstarter lasted 30 days, and folks interested in purchasing the game can be added to the email list here to become notified when it goes on sale.