- Business Insider compiled a list of the top lawyers who’ve worked on the biggest M&A transactions in the marijuana industry to date.
- Check out our exclusive, subscribers-only list here.
With the rapid spread of marijuana legalization in the US, lawyers are discovering that the tangled web of regulations guiding the rapidly growing industry is a boon for business.
After last year’s midterm elections, some form of cannabis is now legal in 33 states, and many in the industry say it’s only a matter of time before legalization sweeps the nation.
Big money – and big law – has followed. The opportunity could be huge: some Wall Street analysts say marijuana could become an $US80 billion market in the US alone in the next decade, with the global market hitting close to $US200 billion.
There are several key reasons lawyers are attracted to the marijuana industry. For one, as cannabis companies grow, merge, and start getting the attention of Fortune 500 corporations as acquisition targets, they need more sophisticated advice on financing, tax planning, corporate structure, and M&A.
Publicly traded cannabis companies were on a dealmaking tear in 2019, scooping up competitors and signing multibillion-dollar tie-ups with pharmaceutical, alcohol, and tobacco corporations. It’s a trend heating up this year.
In addition, many marijuana companies still directly flout US federal law, despite being publicly traded and posting multibillion valuations.
That’s an opportunity to a select group of lawyers who have cut a trailblazing path into the industry. Once reluctant, some of the biggest law firms, like Duane Morris, Baker Botts and Dentons, are building out specialised cannabis practice groups as the industry continues to grow in profitability and complexity.
And even some of the most world’s most prestigious law firms, like Sullivan and Cromwell, have gotten in on the marijuana mergers-and-acquisitions action.
Business Insider has pulled together a list of the top lawyers who’ve worked on the largest deals in the past year in the growing marijuana industry.
Subscribe to read our exclusive story here: Meet the top lawyers who’ve worked on some of the biggest deals in the booming marijuana industry that’s set to skyrocket to $US194 billion »
- The top 12 venture-capital firms making deals in the booming cannabis industry that’s set to skyrocket to $US75 billion
- One of the world’s largest law firms poached a senior partner to build out a marijuana practice – and he’s hiring
- Big asset managers like BlackRock are sitting on the sidelines of the $US75 billion US marijuana industry because of one big pain point
- The rising stars of marijuana’s investment scene that everyone from Wall Street to Silicon Valley should know
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.