The crew began filming in Vancouver this past weekend, Marcia Gay Harden and popular British singer Rita Ora just joined the cast, and James’ Instagram photos from the film’s production have us more excited than ever.
But before we start our countdown to release day, let’s get our facts straight:
- “50 Shades of Grey” is the first instalment in an erotic trilogy that follows the relationship between recent college graduate, Anastasia Steele and a billionaire tycoon, Christian Grey. In a plot full of explicit sexual content — bondage, dominance, and masochism — the innocent and young Anastasia is pursued by the older, experienced Christian.
- Sam Taylor-Johnson, a London-born director and actress, is directing “50 Shades.” Taylor-Johnson has only one prior feature film to her name, the John Lennon biopic, “Nowhere Boy.” In response to the announcement that she would be directing the erotic film, Taylor-Johnson said, “I am excited to be charged with the evolution of ’50 Shades of Grey’ from page to screen.”
- Dakota Johnson will play the 21-year-old Anastasia Steele, as announced by E.L. James on Twitter in early September. Johnson is best known for her role in Fox’s cancelled “Ben and Kate” and a cameo in “The Social Network.”
- Jamie Dornan is set to take on the role of Christian Grey — a part originally held but dropped by “Sons of Anarchy” actor Charlie Hunnam. While Dornan doesn’t have many lead parts to his name, you may recognise him from “Marie Antoinette” with Kirsten Dunst, and ABC’s “Once Upon A Time.”
- Luke Grimes will play Christian’s brother, Elliot. Grimes is best known for his role as James on “True Blood” and as Jamie in “Taken 2.”
- “The Ides of March” actress Jennifer Ehle will play Anastasia’s mother, Carla.
- British singer Rita Ora will play Christian Grey’s adopted sister, Mia.
- Eloise Mumford, who appeared in ABC’s “The River,” will play Anastasia Steele’s roomie, Kate.
- Max Martini of “Captain Phillips” will play Christian Grey’s bodyguard.
- Marcia Gay Harding was just cast as Christian, Mia, and Elliot’s adoptive mother, Dr. Grace Trevelyan Grey. Harding recently finished shooting Woody Allen’s “Magic in the Moonlight.”
- Following Hunnam’s departure from the cast, production was delayed and the film’s release date was pushed back from August 2014 to February 2015.
- The cast began filming on Dec. 1 in Vancouver and author E.L. James shared the below photo on Instagram.
- Following the cast’s first day of filming, photos of Johnson and Dornan filming a coffee shop scene were released.
- Dornan and Johnson appeared as their “50 Shades of Grey” characters on a November cover of Entertainment Weekly.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.