Welcome to a special edition of the Advertising & Media newsletter. I’m Lauren Johnson, a senior reporter who covers advertising technology and Amazon’s growing advertising business.
We’ll still be sending out our weekly newsletter tomorrow but I want to highlight my recent reporting on Amazon in a dedicated newsletter. I’ve spent the past few months diving into the e-commerce giant’s $US10 billion advertising business.
Amazon may still be a distant third to the duopoly of Facebook and Google, but the company is increasingly playing a bigger role for advertisers. By 2023, research firm Pivotal Research expects for Amazon to make $US38 billion from advertising.
Below is a list of stories Business Insider has published that give a peek into Amazon’s advertising revenue, organised by subject. Have an idea for another story or a tip? Let me know at [email protected].
Click here to sign up for Business Insider’s Advertising & Media newsletter.
New ad formats and measurement tools
- Amazon is pushing harder into video search ads, and industry insiders say it’s a direct attack on Google
- ‘It’s in this weird middle ground:’ Amazon has a new plan to win over big brands with video ads, but agencies aren’t buying it
- Amazon is finally letting brands track traffic from Facebook in its latest effort to cosy up to big marketers
- Amazon is opening up ads in AmazonFresh, its Instacart killer, to win over big packaged-goods brands
Relationships with agencies
- Inside Amazon’s charm offensive to win over big brand budgets from Madison Avenue
- Marketers say Amazon’s advertising business is difficult to navigate. Here’s why the company thinks the ‘chaotic’ structure actually makes sense.
Amazon’s move into private labels
- Amazon’s private-label business is on a tear and rival marketers are racing to stay a step ahead of its tactics
- Many of Amazon’s exclusive products look just like other brands you know and love – see them side by side
- Warren’s plan to fight big tech directly threatens one of Amazon’s most successful businesses
- Amazon wants to take on OTT heavyweights like Roku for advertising dollars. Here’s the pitch deck it’s using to sell marketers video ads.
- Big brands like Verizon and Toyota are backing Amazon’s Freedive as the e-commerce giant pushes deeper into OTT advertising
- A top Amazon Studios exec talks about why it puts a huge focus on experiential marketing and reveals how it will push its ‘Lord of the Rings’ series
- It seems like Amazon and Google may finally be ending their streaming video feud
- Amazon is now paying influencers big commissions to sell its products. We got a leaked document that shows how it all works.
- Amazon wants to build an army of influencers to help sell products. We got an inside look at how much people are making.
- Amazon is paying influencers big commissions to sell its products, and it’s open to anyone. Here’s how to sign up.
- Meet the influencer agency that is helping Amazon merchants break free of the e-commerce giant
Moving into New York
- Amazon decided to shut down HQ2 in New York but advertisers see no sign of the e-commerce giant slowing down its attack on Madison Avenue
Competing with Google and Facebook
- The growth rate of Amazon’s ad business is plunging but revenue is still up
- Digital now makes up the majority of marketers’ ad spending, and Amazon is poised to win big as it eats into Google’s share
- Amazon’s ad business is set to more than quadruple by 2023 – and Google should be worried
- Amazon’s nascent ad business is bigger than it’s ever been – and it’s starting to make inroads with big brands
- ‘They should all be worried’: Google’s move to bring shoppable ads to image searches should terrify Amazon, Instagram, and Pinterest
- Google’s ad business is facing its biggest new threat in years, but for Google’s Q1 earnings, Amazon’s ‘bark is worse than the bite’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.