Everton FC has banned journalists from The Sun newspaper from attending matches at its Goodison Park grounds, after columnist Kelvin MacKenzie compared club player Ross Barkley to “a gorilla”.
The club sent out a statement today which read:
Yesterday Everton Football Club informed The Sun newspaper it was banned from Goodison Park, the USM Finch Farm training ground and all areas of the club’s operation. Whilst we will not dignify any journalist with a response to appalling and indefensible allegations, the newspaper has to know that any attack on [Liverpool], either against a much respected community or individual, is not acceptable.
This is a developing story…
More from Business Insider UK:
- The 11 best footballers available on a free transfer this summer
- The UK’s most popular newspaper suspended a columnist for calling a mixed race footballer ‘a gorilla’
- Google may be quietly tracking everywhere you go — here’s how to turn it off (GOOG)
- Why we’re afraid of awkward silences — and how to embrace them
- Here are Britain’s next fintech hotspots, according to the finance watchdog
NOW WATCH: ‘Stop shaking your head again’: Watch Spicer’s tense exchange with a reporter over alleged White House scandals
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.